PDA

View Full Version : Discus shock?

ToxicBunny
04-06-2003, 10:27 PM
I've had a red-turquoise discus for about 6 months now, and he's about 3 or 4 in. in diameter. About 2 weeks ago I had to take all thefish out of my 55g tank (including him) to move it into a different room. Ever since then, he's been very skittish, and his color has changed so much he's practically black. Is he just in shock and will make a comeback soon or should I be doing something to help?

Mr.Trips
04-06-2003, 11:10 PM
New room, and moved him, I would be scared too! Make sure you keep the light off, and did you put the same water back in the tank, or all new water?

Fishaholic
04-07-2003, 12:17 AM
It usually takes a fish about three to four weeks before they become fully comfortable in a new home. Even though it's the same tank and everything, he's in a different spot with different surroundings, and the move was probably fairly stressful.

Carol_Roberts
04-07-2003, 12:41 AM
I move fish from tank to tank and as long as the water is basically the same temperature and pH there is no problem. Next meal they usually eat.

Could there have been a difference in temp or pH in the new tank? any new fish in that tank?

Discus_Forever
04-07-2003, 01:16 AM
The move just by itself shouldn't cause that kind of reaction, unless there was a drastic change in pH or temp. Or from a tank that had regular water changes to one that hadn't been changed other than topping off for 6 months.

Please let us know about temp, pH, tankmates in old & new tank, etc., and we should be able to help you more. The dark color is not a good sign. If nothing else, I'd raise the temp to 90 or better yet 92, if you have fish other than discus that can take such high temps. A large tablespoon of rock salt (aquarium salt, non-iodized table salt) per 10 gals is also a good initial step.

HTH.

04-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I agree with Carol and Terry a simple room to room move shouldnt bring on that kind of reaction ??? At least not for more than a couple of hours at the MOST.
SUMPINS UP ??? If he's been like this for two weeks I wouldnt hesitate to isolate him if possible (hosp tank) raise the temp as Terry suggested, and add salt. I would go with 2-3 TBSP/10 GAL right off the start though. You can also do this in the main tank with the others present if a hospital tank isnt an option.
Is he still eating?

Tony

ToxicBunny
04-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Well when I moved the tank, I kept about 1/2 the original water and added new to it, but I usually do biweekly gravel vacuums and the water stayed the same PH I made sure. I haven't seen him eat, but I think he munches on the algae pellets I give my pleco like I've seen him do before.