PDA

View Full Version : Metal fish tank Rack Question

Ann
04-07-2003, 12:05 AM
I am about to build a metal rack to support 3 tiers of fish tanks. I would just like to know from some one with some experience in this whether I need 4 or 6 legs to support the weight. The rack will constructed out of 1inchx1inch square galvanised steel with a 1.6mm wall thickness. Each tier will have to support 400L water + tank weights. It will be 5foot long x 2foot wide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ann ;)

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-07-2003, 09:50 PM
You should only need 4 legs, not 6 to support the weight. Just make sure the weld joins are strong, and if you doubt the welding job, go out and buy some L brackets to put add additional support to the weld joints. HTH

-Ryan

mahojazz
04-09-2003, 03:36 AM
hi ann, are u going to have 3 tier 5 feet tank? wow, that will be too heavy. not very advisable to have such big tank in 3 tier. If u really need this big tanks, ur stand should be at least 2~3mm thick wall. the stand is the most important thing, it is going to support all your tanks. so go for stronger ones.

mahojazz
04-09-2003, 03:40 AM
oh, not to forget. the 4 legs should be stronger than the side bars.

Ann
04-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Actually the tanks will only be 2x15x18 but there will be 4 on each tier.

Ann

mahojazz
04-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Actually the tanks will only be 2x15x18 but there will be 4 on each tier.

Ann

oh so u will have 4x 2ft tanks on each tier? then it is best to have 6 legs. this will make ur stand more stable. also dun forget. the supporting brace bars too.

Smokey
05-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi Ann.
I have built many steel racks/stands.
My material of choice is angle iron. - 2'' x 2'' x 1/4'' thick.

Reason - inexpensive [ compared to other steel ]
Extremely strong.

I have also used the square tubing - 1''x1''x 3/16'' wall.

I would recommend - over a 5 foot length - to instal vertical sq. tubing at the centre. With the weigth - the tubing will ''bend''.[flex].
Diagonial braces will not be necessary!!

Also - might be a good idea to instal leveling adjusters on the 6 - legs.

Smokey

Jason
05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
sorry for the stupid question, but is angle better than tubular?

mahojazz
05-06-2003, 12:41 AM
oh, over here in singapore. all our stand are made of tubular iron rod. very stable solid looking. and best of all it is very reasonably priced. if u want custom dimension. some industrial company can do it for you. but i am not sure over your side.

Smokey
05-08-2003, 03:24 AM
Hey Jason;
The thickness of the steel, is what gives it the steel its strenght - or the way it is shaped.
Angel iron is basicly 1/2 a square tube. Square tubing is basicaly two angle iron.
To get the same horizontal caring strength - deflection - angle iron has too be thicker than the square tubing.
However - 2 x 2 x 1/4'' angle iron is the most common steel produced and there fore.. inexpensive. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Water is heavy and classified as dead weight. Glass weights almost the same as steel - ~42# per square foot.

When you are building something, which has a long horizontal length - any and all materials have a load capacity.

Ex. Take a 6 foot lenth of 1'' x 1.6mm[~3/32'']sq. tubing - support it at both ends and sit on it ... it will deflect quite a bit. Support it in the centre and it will be ''more sturdy''

Take a 6' foot lenth of 2 x 2 x 1/4'' angle iron, same routine --- strong as boursh !!

As for using the galvanized tubing - save your money and but the reqular stuff. Paint does not adhere to galv. very well.

My steel stands are over 10 years old .. Painted only once ... when they were built. Except for a few paint scrates ... just like new!!!

ps - I have a 6 foot steel stand made fron 1'' sq. - supported in the centre ... it is a factory stand for a 230 gallon tank. It is strong. and alot lighter!!!

I like to build.

Smokey

Jason
05-08-2003, 12:11 PM
thanks Smokey,

I love steele racks, everytime I build a wood one I say to myself -never again!

My Dad was a welder by trade, and taught me how to arc weld when I was a kid, I think I'd rather bolt one together though. could I just drill and bolt? or do I need some kind of punching die?

Hmm if I go all metal may be able to free up enough space for more tanks!

Smokey
05-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Naw; never bolt it together.

build the top - say 24''wide x 60''long. easy, just a rectangle. When you cut the steel, using a chop saw; 45 degree cut the angel iron.

next cut the legs; whatever lenght.
Tack weld to top .
next cut angel iron to fit inside and mate with the vertical legs. this will be the lower shelf.
tack weld the lower shelf angel into place.. use a square !! Right angels are important.lol.

instal level adjusters on the bottom of the legs

Weld the entire unit.

Paint . I used a good exterior house paint, [cheap;go to the returned paint section of any store, buy a gallon and a 3''brush]. Color is not important. hahahahahhahaa. I got 4 1 gallon cans for $10.00.. so what if it was bright red.

Apply at least 4 -20 coats of the paint. [ Use a brush - none of the spray type] heck the paint was cheap ... use it!!!

Let the paint dry - depending on how many coats applied this could take from 1 week to a month. or 2!!! He** it took me a week to paint mine - 13 coats of paint. so what if it takes a bit to completely dry. A person note - remove all stuck insects and cat hair before applying the next coat of paint. Less bumpy finish !!! lol

When finished; either apply a wooden finish OR set up in the livingroom and install tanks. Set back in your favorite easy chair ....... AND BE PROUD OF A JOB WELL DONE .

Smokey

Ann
05-10-2003, 07:46 PM
HI all I have finally got the stand made and we went with square 1"x1" galvanised as hopefully it will not rust. I have painted it yesterday and the tanks will be here later today. So hope fully it will hold. I went with the 6 leg option just to be sure. Thanks for everyones input and advise

Ann

Jason
05-10-2003, 08:06 PM
just got a new angle grinder, but I gotta use bolts, no way I'd be able to move them around or out if I had too, my 7'x20"x24" tank is staying here too, no way I'm moving that again.

Smokey
05-11-2003, 03:46 AM
O.K. Jason , good choice. However, use a grade five or preferably a grade 8 bolt. A bit more money, but a grade 8 will not rust on you or snap.

and do not forget the adjuster pads !!!! Right .

Smokey