PDA

View Full Version : Heaters & Discus...

Mike_T
04-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Many of you may already know it's a good idea to use two heaters on your tank as opposed to one. It cuts down on cold spots, and both heaters will last longer as a result of shutting off more often. I have found that no one makes a perfect heater, they're all hit and miss no matter what the brand is. I use Acuras because they're easy to set and change, and Ebos because they are less likey to bust. Not because they're more accurate or last any longer.

Something I highly recommend is dating your heaters(and not buying used ones unless you know how old they are). All heaters will stick eventually. I came home one evening last month to find my breeding pair of pigeon bloods floating at the top- a result of a stuck heater. The temp was about 108F. Now all my heaters have masking tape on the cords with the Date of Purchase. I'll replace them in two years. To me it's worth it, as that breeding pair, to me, was priceless because I had raised them from quarter size.

If I had used two heaters rated for smaller tanks this may have been avoided, as one low-wattage stuck heater may not have had the wattage to heat the 29 gal more than 90F or so.

Oh well, Live and Learn. Just something to think about.

-Mike T 8)

04-07-2003, 12:18 PM
If you have a heater has been working properly for 2 years. Please ship them to me. I have a bunch of old EBO with the screw adjustment top never gone wrong for 5-15 years of continuous service. Yet the recent purchase for the last 2 years from the same company broken down within the first month. Some never even work to start with. For heaters. the older the better.JMHO
Jimmy.

Smokey
04-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Here is a suggestion ..... I do this all the time
When something stops working, I TAKE IT APART !!!
Why not.. it has already stopped working..
I then figure out why it has stopped working.. in the case of heaters.. it usually is the same... the points have arc burns.. resulting in misalinment, or fused together.. A bit of sanding - cleaning up renews the points to brand new.
If anyone else has ever takin apart an Ebo Jager heater - you will see just how well built they are.. lots of neat little things inside the glass tube.
The $10.00 heaters are similar .. just fewer parts and cheaper points.
Yes, I still am running a 20 year old Supreme heater, and 10 year old Ebo, 10 year old Thermo Compacts
And brand new Ebo Jagers - 250 watt. etc.

However for my new dedicated DISCUS room, I am exploring the use of hot water heating. NOT the room , but the tanks.
The R & D has been done..works well, now for the real test... incorperating it.
Ahhh, just think - one heat source, no points to worry about, no moving parts.... sounds too good to pass up !!!

Smokey

April
04-07-2003, 01:05 PM
smokey the fixer upperer and builder...
but.we;re not as all handy as you.
i'll wait for my updates on that project. ;D

04-07-2003, 01:28 PM
I once knew a fellow heating his Greenhouse fish room by taping a pipe into his sewage system. He noticed the manhole never have ice build up and never freeze up regardless of the outside temperature. The pipe cicled around the base of the greenhouse like our baseborad heaters and return back to the septic tank. But the health department made him disconnect it due to health reason in case of leaks.
Jimmy.

ronrca
04-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Smokey mentioned hotwater heaters! A very good idea! How about hot tub heaters? Or is there a minimum temp that hot tub heaters operate too hot for discus?

Curious because you can get some good hot tub heater pretty cheap! Instead of using 250W heaters, you are looking at 5000K heaters! LOL! I would think that these heaters are very reliable. Just a thought!

Mike_T
04-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Sure Jimmy! Gimme your address & sign this disclaimer! LOL! ;D

It's kind of the same principle as a car wreck. You're traumatized once, you start wearing your seatbelt...

-Mike T 8)

Smokey
04-09-2003, 03:00 AM
What a funny bunch of people.. ha ha ha... yea!!!
I thinks some of you all have cabin fever...

The first R&D results are in.. positive results.. however, I failed to compensate for the heat Discus put off when they pis# .. So a minor adjustmet, and the water volume remains the same.

Smokey