PDA

View Full Version : Salt

Tex
04-07-2003, 02:31 PM
I have a question about salt. With the exception of iodised salt is there a lot of differant kinds of salt that you should or should not use in a discus tank? for example rock salt,kosher salt, aquarium salt, water softner salt are these all the same?

fcdiscus
04-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Salt is prety much salt! I do prefer Kosher Salt found in the grocery store. Frank

Carol_Roberts
04-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Rock, kosher, pickling, and aquarium salt can all be used. I think water softener salt may be different, but am not sure . . .

discus_nw
04-08-2003, 12:30 AM
I pefer Kosher salt on my food, however in the discus tank I use rock salt. Its cheaper. Don't buy aquarium salt because its plain old salt at 4 times the price.

ronrca
04-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know particulars about water softening salt? I use it with no bad effects because it is very cheap and now Im curious! Is it the same as rock salt or Epson salt? Is there a way to find out?

brewmaster15
04-08-2003, 02:41 PM
There are different kinds of water softer salt. The safe one to use is called "sodium Chloride" It should list this as the only ingredient.. The sodium chloride version is rock salt.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate and is able to be found at most pharmacies where it is sold as a laxative, and to be used in soaks.

hth,
al

daninthesand
04-08-2003, 02:57 PM
For a very cheap source of salt go to Home Depot. In Canada they carry a brand made by the "sifto" company and it is their CRYSTAL brand.

The label reads.."Sifto. Salt For Water Softeners. CRYSTAL. Improved resin clean formula. 99.9 % pure salt."

Here is the Canadian home depot upc.

HTH Daniel

A 20 kilogram bag (~40 lbs) only costs about 4 bucks plus tax. (~$2.60 U.S. ) Can't get much cheaper than that. Unless you steal it! ;D

ronrca
04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Thats the kind I have! Lasts forever or seems like it anyways!

Truelies
09-12-2004, 03:54 AM
Hello,

Is there anything wrong with iodised salt?!! my second question is,
is not Iodised salt is table salt its self??

regards,
truelies

Condor
09-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Best not to use table salt in my opinion.

Carol_Roberts
09-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I try to use uniodized salt, but will use table salt at levels of 1 - 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons if that is all I have.

nacra99
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I used to use table salt for my brine shrimp tank, and i found that it has a milky white residue (precipitate) which turned my tank cloudy. But when i switched to aquarium salt, the cloudiness disappeared.

My guess is that aquarium salt has all these impurites removed so that it doesn't show up in the tank.

IMO, for the types of concentrations used in a discus or angel tank, it shouldn't really make too much of a difference which you use... table salt is usually cheaper tho.

Cheers
marc

GulfCoastDiscus
09-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I been using HomeDepot water softner salt with no ill effect. It's a 40lb. blue bag called solar salt, extra coarse.
Cost $3.47 + tax.

Dan

Sayersweb
09-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Do most people use salt in their discus tanks? What concentration?

oodi
09-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Sayers,

Salt isn't a "requirement" for a discus tank. It is used as a treatment for some ailments. I would say that the dosage depends on the reason for using it. The most common dosage is 1 tbsp per 10 gallons.

Judi
:)

Howie_W
09-16-2004, 10:26 AM
In addition to what Judi said, sodium chloride can be used regularly to keep your fish digest properly.

When salt is added to the water, the fish take it in through their mouth and gills...this helps clean both the gills and intestinal tracks.

The best time to use it is when food has been withheld for a while, after a water change has been completed.

Some use this treatment anywhere from once a week, to once a month.

Howie