PDA

View Full Version : Story about how I begin with discus keeping

wo
04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
About thirteen years ago, my sister in law bought me a small hexangular arcylic tank about 1G with only one goldfish inside. At the beginning, I was kind of dislike aquatic creatures and never imagined that one day I will keep so many discus. I did not even take care of that fish at all; it was my father who did feed and water change. I only looked 1-5 minutes per day. Soon the goldfish grow out the tank. My father bought a new tank about 15G with ten more goldfish. They were well kept for about 1 year but one day there was no power supply (In asia, when in summer typhoon sometimes will damage the power supply) By that time, my father and I knew nothing about how aquatic equipment so we did not buy AC/DC air pumper. As you may guess, all the fish were dead overnight. My dad went to the LFS and was immediately attracted by discus. At then one can buy 10 goldfish but one 2 inches discus. He bought two with some other fish. They looked black and miserable when they were in the tank so I still did not pay any attention to them. Until one year later they looked so beautiful. My friends came to my house all appreciated the two discus and most people did not know the name of that kind of fish. I started to like discus and actually involved in keeping them. I began to save money and bought 10 Sunny Lo's discus and tried to breed them. They were really stunning cobalts. Sadly they never bred. Only the two red turks bought first bred once but only one deformed fry survived and died one year later. All the other discus lived for 5-7 years. After they died one by one. I did not want to keep fish anymore. But I did not gave the tanks away.

Two years ago, my father looked at the empty tanks and wanted to keep some neons. So I bought 50 neons at the LFS and the next day they all died.( We let the tank run for two days before we put neons in.) I went to the LFS again and saw some discus. That was the beginning of my discusholic. I bought about 40+ discus within 2 years. Now I end up with 15 adults in 100G tank, eight 5 months old sanmerah in 25G tank, nine marlboro and 1 BD runts in 15G tank, and nine 3 months old RSGxLSS in 6G tank.(I know the tank is too small.) Now I plan to buy other 50G tank to put the small discus together.

Anyone ask me about the feeling-----that is tired when do W/C, happy when they look nice, sad when they die, mad when they keep attacking each other. But the main drawback is when the whole family is going somewhere for a long vacation. I am the only one could not go or have to return early. Most of all, I learned when you determine not to keep fish------just throw the tanks out immediately or you will end up like me----buy more and keep more.

The sister in law also gave me a cockatiel 13 years ago. When it dies, I bought a grey parrot instead. He is not good looking but smart. He can speak 100+ words in three languages. I heard his life expectency is 70+ years. My brother feel kind of sorry for me because his wife gave this animals to me----the main cause of my further money and time spent on them. I will never know is that one of the reasons my brother get divorced.

Anyway, that is my story with discus. How about yours?

brewmaster15
04-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi Wo,
I'm going to move this to the beginners Section... Its a good story for everyone! Thanks for sharing!

-al

dm
04-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Great story Wo!
I have been keeping tropical fish for years but only started to keep Discus last year. I still keep others but Discus are my favorites and always will be.

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2003, 01:39 AM
I had never kept fish or known anyone who kept fish. Then I moved into a house with an old outdoor concrete pond. I mucked it all out and put chlorox in it to kill all the bacteria, ::) filled it with water and bought 10 baby Koi which I enjoyed feeding. . . . . . So I fed them and fed them and fed them. Some of them died ??? and they told me I needed a filter and quit feeding them so much. I sat and watched the koi for hours that summer and anguised over the ones that died. I still have four hardy survivors.

As winter approached I decided to buy a big fish tank and bring the koi indoors. So I ordered a 135 gallon tank. In the meantime I bought a 10 gallon tank with an undergravel filter and 10 feeder goldfish. For some reason there was lots of ammonia in that tank :P The 135 gallon tank didn't arrive until December - too late to move the Koi indoors, so I filled it with large fancy goldfish. Then the tank broke on a Sunday and I had to run to Walmart and buy a 29 gallon for the goldfish :o After the 135 was replaced I had an empty 29 gallon . . . perfect for discus . . . it had an undergravel filter with big powerheads, all I needed to do was get my pH down to 6.0 to make it perfect.

I bought one discus, the sole survivor of a batch of 6 at the lfs. A couple of weeks later I bought the sole survivor of the next batch of 6. . . . . And I named the blue one Norman Bates (from psycho) because he relentlessly harassed Janet (Leigh), chasing her throughout the tank until she hid behind the powerhead. Then I bought a third discus that died and I thought it must be because I can't keep the pH at 6.0.

I'd add those pink granules to the five gallon bucket until the water read 6.0 and then pour it into my 29 gallon tank at 7.8pH. The next day the tank would be right back at 7.8 >:(

I bought every discus book I could find, but it wasn't until I found the old Discus Breeders Website that I really started to learn how to keep discus. I bought a 55 gallon and more discus and another tank and more discus and a couple more tanks and more discus . . . and the rest as they say is history ;D