PDA

View Full Version : CO2 check valve

Jason60625
04-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi, Members,

I'll be setting up a NutraFin (made by Hagen) CO2 system that is pretty much like a DIY system except for I don't have to do it myself. The manufacturer suggests putting the plastic cylinder higher than the tank or using a check valve.

My question: do I have to use an expensive CO2 check valve between the reactor and the cylinder, or can I just use a regular check valve made to keep water from entering air pumps kept beneath the tank? I can find cheap brass or plastic check valves for about $3. A Dupla CO2 check valve runs about $15.

To all of you who have DIY CO2 systems stored beneath your tank, what do you use?

Also, if anyone has any advice/hints/suggestions relating to the NutraFin product, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jay

thirston
04-08-2003, 11:21 AM
I would think a regular valve will work just fine. In my system (5lb tank, regulator, solenoid, diffuser, PH controller, etc...) I use a check valve to keep water from ever running in to the CO2 tank. I think that may be what Hagen is suggesting.

Jason60625
04-08-2003, 11:24 AM
So you use a regular check valve (marketed for air pumps) and not a CO2-specific valve?

thirston
04-08-2003, 11:27 AM
correct!

Harriett
04-08-2003, 05:46 PM
I've been using one of the little plastic $3. check valves on my CO2 injected system for a year--works fine. If I replace it, I'll get a brass one for longevity's sake...I've wondered if the carbonic acid would eventually melt this check valve closed but no problems yet!
Harriett