PDA

View Full Version : starting over

daddyg70
04-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Hello,

Had to euthanize 8 of my discus because of "Thai disease" or fish tuberculosis. :'( I sterilized my 60g tank and am currently trying to get the bleach out. I am filling up the tank daily and adding prime to it and letting run. I plan to do this everyday for a week. I got rid of my filter media including my hydro sponges and plan to buy replacement sponges.

I would like to start over but I have some concerns. Do I need to cycle the tank again even though I plan to do >50% wc daily? If I do need to cycle, should I go fishless or throw starter fish in? If fishless can you send me a thread on how? If starter fish, any recommendations of types of fish would be helpful, especially the disease free type.

Thank you to those who can help me out.

Greg

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Yes, you can cycle your tank with discus, but there is no getting sick or missing a water change!

It's much safer to do a fishless cycle. I just add enough pure ammonia to read 3-5 ppm. I test it from time to time and add a little ammonia when it starts dropping. It takes about 5 weeks to go from amonia to nitrIte to nitrate - unless you add "good bacteria"

daddyg70
04-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks Carol,

What do you mean by "good bacteria". Do you mean Cycle or Stress Zyme additives? Where can I get pure ammonia from? I live in L.A.

I'm going to make an order on bigalsonline.com. I plan to buy a replacement hydrosponge or two, and two via aqua titanium 150w heaters. Oh yeah, replacement biowheels since I had to throw those out. I don't want to buy an AQ500. I want to put a prefilter on my penguin and throw two AQ300 foams in the penguin. Any other suggestions on what to buy?

I am so tempted to cycle with new discus. My family and myself definitely miss having them around.

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Supposedly there is some "new" product out. I forget who makes it and it has a short shelf life.

You can buy ammonia at a hardware store or walmart or probably even a grocery store. Just make sur it doesn't contain detergents or lemon scents, etc.

I'd get two 250 watt Via Aquas They do not stick on and boil your fish. They just quit heating your tank and that way when one quits the other can heat the tank for you ;)

thirston
04-09-2003, 02:38 AM
Marineland supposedly has something in the cooker that's an aquatic bacterial media unlike the cycle etc... which are land/soil based derivatives.

As long as you keep up with the water changes I don't see any reason why you couldn't add 5 or 6 smaller (3") discus to your 60 gallon tank and cycle it up that way. I just cycled a 65 gallon with 5 beautiful RSGs from Alberto in Miami which were about 4" a piece.

Jeff
04-09-2003, 02:56 AM
Greg,

You can get a cycled Hydro sponge from me. Then just add fish. No waiting. :)

daddyg70
04-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks for your replies,

Good to know I can start back right away. Jeff, I will call you today or tomorrow to make an order. I hope you will still have some violet reflections in a week or two. I also hope your golden crystals will be in.

Isn't 2 250w vq a lot of wattage for a 60g tank?

Any recommendations to get the bleach out of the aquarium

Greg

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2003, 05:11 PM
IF just chlorox was added, fillling with water, adding dechlor product and running powerheads or filters (to agitate water) for 24 hours should do it.

One 250 watt via aqua should heat your tank. I was making a tongue-in-cheek joke as I just bought two and one quit working after 6 weeks.

I'd go for the cycled filter and fish from Jeff :thumbsup:

daddyg70
04-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Hey Carol,

Just got the fish in and will post pics soon as I figure out how to shrink my pix to 85 kb! I got two very young violet reflections, two marlboro reds, one golden crystal, and one snow white. So far they are doing great. I also got the cycled hydrosponge and the via aqua heater.

Wife is happy now, therefore I am. Thanks to all!

Greg ;D

Jeff
04-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Hey Greg,

Just as long as the boss is happy. :)

daddyg70
04-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Jeff,

LOL :D :D I know I did the right thing getting a new batch when my 2 year old woke up very early this morning and saw that the tank had some fish. He was so excited he woke my wife (boss) up to tell her and then brought out his fish toys to play with. Thanks Jeff.

FYI--The violet reflections are eating like they haven't ate for days! I have never seen discus eat flake food before. Its pretty amazing! We'll see how they respond to colorbits next!

Greg ;D