PDA

View Full Version : Runt Discus

iceskater
04-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I went out and purchased 2 discus about a month ago. One of them I have been told may be a runt. Here is my question. My discus has grown at least 1/2 inch since I have had it. Do runts just grow at a slower pace. What is the maximum growth I can expect. I do agree with the opinions I received on it being stunted. It is clear the eyes are larger then they should be. I like the fish and definately want to keep it. Being one of my first 2 Discus I will always have a special attachment to it I am sure.

Another question, I am getting more fish in the next several weeks from Jeff, This time I am listening to advice given. I have read that the Discus should all be the same size, would 1/2 inch difference in size be considered alot???

Thanks Karen

GWdiscus
04-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Concerning the question on size difference. I added three new discus to a group of 4 that I had bough from the same supplier two weeks earlier. One of the three, a yellow something or other, was a full inch larger than any of the rest. The other six were about 2.5", where the yellow was about 3.5". I have had no problems, in fact, one of the smaller ones from the original batch was a big bully. With the addition of the other fish the bully has settle down considerably.
Maybe I'm just lucky with the yellow since he doesn't seem to have to show off that it is the biggest and never tries to push the others around.

Carol_Roberts
04-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Karen:
Do runts just grow at a slower pace. yes, if they grow at all What is the maximum growth I can expect. it's hard to predict. You don't know how old the discus is. Some discus have been at the lfs for months.

I have read that the Discus should all be the same size, would 1/2 inch difference in size be considered alot???
No, that should be fine

iceskater
04-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks for replies. I really do see growth with my blue diamond. Of course that is thrilling me. Glad to here a 1/2 inch is not a big difference in size. I want to do this next order right..

Karen

daddyg70
04-11-2003, 02:15 AM
I had 8 discus and a couple from Jeff of all varying sizes. I did have a runt though but he was able to eat with the big guys. They all had a pecking order and the two largest discus occasionally fought to establish who was the alpha fish.

I'm getting 6 discus from Jeff tomorrow night. What discus did you get?

Greg

iceskater
04-11-2003, 09:15 AM
I have not placed the order with Jeff yet. We are waiting till he gets his next supply. I am looking for 4 different varieties. I know I want a super melon & yellow & white. I am still making up my mind on the other 2. I tend to prefer the more solid looking Discus to the spotted & patterned ones. Any suiggestions. Currently I have a PB and Blue Diamond.

Mr.Trips
04-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Hey Ice! I have 3 red turks at 2.0 Inches with 3 Red turks at 4+ inches, the little guys hang around the big guys without any problems. I think the little guys think the big guys are mom and dad!

As for the runt, do this, put him in a tank with some Neons, then hes not a runt! Just think of the self esteem he would have knowing he was the big fish on the block! ;D :o

daddyg70
04-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm getting two violet reflection, two marlboro red, one golden crystal, and one snow white. Somebody's getting paid tonite! ;D

Jeff said the next shipment might be postponed till May. You may want to give him a call.

Greg

iceskater
04-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi Greg,

Wow, wish I were getting that order. I spoke with Jeff this week so I know about the delay. I will place an order around the end of the month, he thinks he should know his inventory by then. Let me know what you think of your fish.. I am especially interested in seeing the golden crystal.

daddyg70
04-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey Karen,

Just got them and they are in the tank and so far so good. ;D I live 20 minutes away (Culver City) and Jeff told me to just throw them in, no acclimation period. I am anxious about the violet reflections because they are quite small but so far they are all eating. I gave some FBW and they were all eating. So far the prettiest right now are the marlboro reds. Jeff sells them at a good price. I will post pictures soon as I figure out how to shrink my pictures to 85kb!

Greg

iceskater
04-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Greg, check your IM I just messaged you.

Mr. Trips, I have him in with a smaller Discus, 2 neon tetras, 1 harlequin rasbora and a fancy guppy. He is king of the tank. Funny thing is, at feeding time he tries to chase the littler one away from the food, but does not suceed real well. He ends up pushing the littler ones into the food. ;D