PDA

View Full Version : Both a sponge filter and an AquaClear?

Bruce
04-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Hello,

Discus newbie here.

I understand bio filters and prefer a wet dry like a bio-wheel or wet/dry sump, but since everyone is using sponges, I guess I'll do it too. Maybe the sponge is a substitute for the lack of gravel and thereby compensate for the reduced surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize?

Anyhow, my real question is this, if an AquaClear and a HydroSponge both perform the same function in the same manner, is there any point to having both in the same tank ?

I will be using a BioWheel 125 and need to decide on whether to go with a DirtMagnet Sr or an AquaClear Mini as its companion in a new 20 gal. for a pair of small discuss.

Thanks for any input.

Fishaholic
04-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Chances are a sponge is all you are going to need. Two small Discus will put out very little boiload, easily something a single sponge can handle.

I have an AC500 and about a 5" sponge in my 50g. I use two sponges in the AC instead of carbon. It is way overkill, but I had the extra filter kicking around so I just put it in there. Plus, it allows me a (cycled) filter if I need to set up a hospital tank or something.

Bruce
04-12-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks, Fishaholic.

For anyone:

Two more question about sponge filters;

The HydroSponge and the Orca Sponge both seem to have a weighted plastic footing for anchoring into gravel. Since gravel is not an issue in a bare tank, the anchor seems to have the benefit of lifting the sponge off the floor so that worms are less likely to crawl into them.

Can anyone help me verify if the Dirt Magnet sponge filters also have a raised footing to keep the sponge above the tank bottom? The manufacturer's product picture doesn't show.

Can I get a comparison between the two cylindricals; the HydroSponge and the Orca sponge. Is one superior to the other?

Thanks.