PDA

View Full Version : Growth Rate?

GWdiscus
04-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone,
2 questions:
1) How is the measurement of a fish made? Here in Ohio the Depart. of Natural Resources says from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, I just want to make sure people here are not measuring just the body, from tip of nose to where the body meets the tail.

2) What is a good growth rate? I've had my discus now for 2 months now and they seem to have grown about an inch or a little more, accept for one that has only grown a half inch. Is this normal? I feed them 3 to 4 times a day a variety of food, frozen beefheart, bloodworm, and brineshrimp, with flake and pellet food, and once or twice a week a fresh earthworm.

thanks,
Michael

04-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Measurement should be made from the nose to the base of the tail. Otherwise tail fin can re-grow an inch easily in a few weeks if it were cut off. A normal growth rate is about an inch per month up to 3 months. then slow down a bit and pick up again between 4-6". Food is not the only main factor for their growth. Nutrients in water plays a big role as well. On the other hand, worms and parasites contribute greatly in the opposite end. However, I found Blue Diamonds and the ghost grow a bit slower compared to Bars and Pigeon type of discus.
Jimmy.