PDA

View Full Version : changing a saltwater tank to discus tank

Jamie H
04-10-2003, 03:19 PM
I am new to discus. I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank that i have been thinking about changing to a discus tank. I have a submersible heater, and an emperor 400 in the saltwater tank. Was wandering what i would have to do to change this tank to a discus tank, and whether i can use the filters and such I already have. Also the tank has the two 24 inch stirp lights. I have 50/50 lights in those. I would like as much info that this great site can give me. Thanks Jamie

Carol_Roberts
04-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Yes, you can reuse this set up after you've cleaned and rinsed it. The bacteria for saltwater is different than for fresh so you will have to recycle the filter with new media. Really rinse the filter parts including spray bar and get rid of built up salt, don't forget the impellor. I'm thinking you will need new bio wheels too.

sumptnfshy
04-10-2003, 05:12 PM
I agree with Carol but I do have some additional advice. I have had 50/50 lights on my discus and i diddnt like the way it makes them look.
Most discus have more than one color on their body the 50/50 will enhance the blue in the fish this is good if you were to get an all blue discus, but for a fish like a red turq the red will most likely look brown. Go to home depot and get some full spectrum natural sunlight bulbs.

discuskrib
04-10-2003, 05:49 PM
this seams to be a common question people keep asking.

maybe it could be added to the beginner information index sticky?????? ::) :book:

Jamie H
04-10-2003, 06:37 PM
I appreciate all the info. I don't have as much interest in saltwater anymore and I have two discus in a 29 gallon, two red turqs. They are doing really well, but I would like to have them in my 55 and the wife would kill me if i bought another 55. Thanks again everyone, Jamie

Carol_Roberts
04-11-2003, 12:03 AM
OK, I added this thread to the index.