PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tanks

jsojda
04-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Hello all:

I just got back from Home Depot and i am throughly confused as to what type of paint i need to paint my tanks. I asked someone there and all they could tell me was to put a primer down. Any one had any experience with this? They told me that regular paint would not stick to glass. Didn't really make much sense but i wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

dm
04-10-2003, 06:44 PM
That isn't right at all. First of all if you used primer that is all you would see through the glass so that definatly won't work. I would think any good quality flat paint would work just fine. You don't want too much of a glare so flat would probably work the best.

jsojda
04-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks! I tried explaining that but it didn't seem to get through. Anyone else?

ronrca
04-10-2003, 06:51 PM
I just recently painted my tanks using a flat water based interior paint, color of my choice! Sticks no problem! It does scratch off easy enough so once painted you want to be careful not to handle it too much however Id rather have it easy to remove in case I dont like the color anymore! ;D

I cant beleive the Home Depot said that! ???

Ryan
04-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Flat exterior latex. Interior or exterior doesn't matter, I've just heard that exterior holds up better (so you'll need it for all those water spills). It can scrape off easily, but it's also very easy to touch up (and VERY easy to remove from glass).

Use foam rollers and/or foam brushes to apply it to the tank. I use rollers on the main portions of the glass and brushes to touch up edges. The first coat may look a little bit streaky/uneven but let it dry and apply a second (and maybe third) coat. It will look better with each coat. I only let mine dry for about 3 hours in between each coat -- by then, it's usually dry enough to continue painting.

Clean the glass first with some Windex or something and dry it real good before you start.

To remove it, just get a glass scraper from Home Depot ($5) and some straight blades, and it peels off in long strips -- no fuss at all.

Ryan

ronrca
04-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Ah! Yes, the details! Thanks Ryan! I do what Ryan said also! ;D

Fisheyes
04-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Finaly tank builders in Calgary are acid etching the bottoms of tanks . :thumbsup:
You can do your own using acid etch available at any hobby shop . For backing on mine I go to staples office supplies and buy a great blue sky type poster board
Fisheyes( :inquisitive:)

GWdiscus
04-11-2003, 08:07 AM
I had an old can of Rustolium in the garage, used it to paint the bottom of my 75 gal tank. It looks all patchy from below but from above is a nice uniform covering. The fish don't complain.
Also, if I should decide I don't want it on there anymore all I have to do is a quick razor blade job and its back to its orginal condition. Where as if you used acid, thats forever.

ronrca
04-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Acid etching? Is the finish similar to sandblasting metal? How do you acid etch? I tend to agree with GMW, its permanent!

95jeepxj
04-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Any paint will work. At the lfs that I just helped to build and open we used a semi gloss interior. Best advice is to go with many thin coats. If you apply it thick in one shot, you will get air gaps that will turn in to big air gaps.

jake

Fisheyes
04-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Acid etching is simple .Just wipe on and leave for 10 minute and walla Non reflecting bottom . Yes it is like sandblasting .Caution wear gloves and rinse well .
Do the outside not the inside Fisheyes( :rolleyes:)

jeep
04-11-2003, 02:24 PM
I used Stone Creations from HD on the bottom of my tanks. It's very durable and needs no primer ;D

Ryan
04-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Is Stone Creations the one with the textured looking finish? I've been wanting to try that one. It makes the tank look a little nicer IMO. I've seen it in pictures, I think from Tad & Judi and also Mike Wells (or maybe I'm way off).

Ryan

jeep
04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
That's it. Gives the tank a nice gravel appearance. Go with a darker color than you would think you want because the tank lights brighten things up a little too much and you lose some of the blue in the water.

I would probably use the slate color...

It's also not latex so it's a little stinky (use out doors) and won't come off very easy.

DIZ
04-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Latex paint one coat is good and if you went to remove it put a wet rag on the paint it will just peel right off a scraoer well mark the glass. DIZ