PDA

View Full Version : Discus & Summer Heat

iceskater
04-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Today was a real hot day here in California. While I was driving home it dawned on me that I have no air conditioning in my house and how would extreme heat affect my Discus.

Any suggestions: It can get about 100 degrees in my house on some summer days. Is the solution to just add cold water to cool the water.

Sure would hate to get these great new Discus from Jeff only to have them cook to death..

Karen

Fisheyes
04-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Living in Canada I do not have that type of problem However if i were in that situation I would try running a fan across the tank surface to help cool it .If extremly hot you could put an ice bucket in front of the fan. Freeze water in plastic pop bottles and drop in

Hell thats to much work go buy a chiller

Aquatic_Design
04-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Karen,
Here in the south it gets very hot in the summer. (They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing). I run close to 20 tanks in my garage(fishroom) and have never had a problem. I do keep a fan running just to circulate air.
Donna :)

discuskrib
04-11-2003, 05:09 AM
now you have me dreaming of all that nice weather

oh well, a few more days and the snow should be completely gone around here. 8)

April
04-11-2003, 08:40 AM
one thing...i would suggest is you have lots of extra aeration. the higher the temp the less oxygen. and they will go to the top.
even in my shop...in the middle of the day if the temp goes up a bit with all the blow dryers on for the dogs...my fish start going up top more for air. so.run a bubble wand or something. or a few airstones?
I think they do go off breeding cycle if hot for awhile....
at least ive heard this frm the aussies..or..the eggs arent fertile? maybe one iwill turn up who has those temps in the summers...to comfirm this or correct me.

iceskater
04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks all. I currently run bubble wands in my tanks. In the summer I will add another airstone . I will also place a few fans pointing to the tanks and monitor... The weather is suppose to cool down over the weekend and the real heat does not start until July or so. Just being proactive..

Karen

jeep
04-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Where do you live, Death Valley? ;D I hardly ever use my A/C unless the outside temp gets over 95 (I like the heat) and my house never gets above about 85. My tanks always maintain 84 degrees...

The extra air stones and bubble wand will not only provide more o2, it will also aid in lowering the water temp. You're probably fine.

Good luck!

allan_mark76
04-11-2003, 02:41 PM
iceskater I'm located in San Diego, CA and what I usually do during the summer months is keep a couple of windows open and add additional air stones. There is no worry in cooking your discus unless your room is not aerated correctly.

OEG
04-11-2003, 02:54 PM
San Diego man thats place doesnt ever get over 85degrees!!!!
Try El Paso weather when it gets to 100 to 110 then talk to me about hot. Just kiddin (thats something grand parents would say).LOL

iceskater
04-11-2003, 10:01 PM
I live in Southern California and the heat can get to 110 during the day and stay at 90 in the evening. Windows will be open. I will do all I can do and hope for the best. My husband would kill me if I asked to buy an AC for these fish. He is already very jealous of the amount of attention they are getting. :D

jeep
04-12-2003, 12:52 AM
How about an A/C for yourselves ;D

Bruce
04-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Thanks all. I currently run bubble wands in my tanks. In the summer I will add another airstone . I will also place a few fans pointing to the tanks and monitor... The weather is suppose to cool down over the weekend and the real heat does not start until July or so. Just being proactive..

Karen

I might be new to discus (over 20yrs w/ Oscars) but it would seem to me that blowing hot room air at an aquarium will heat the water rather than cool it. But, if you used window fans and blew cooler outside air into the room with the fish(on hot days, the air outside is still cooler than inside air as the dwelling retains heat, like a car in the sun). Then, if you also use a window fan in exhaust mode, on the other side of the room, you have yourself a nice breeze.

arpanlib
04-13-2003, 10:11 AM
hi,

in INDIA, it gets around 45 - 50 degree C

on small tanks, i blow fan over the water surface...... i get the temp. around 27 - 29 DC

for bigger tanks, there is no AC in the room coz they are in the basement. so to beat the heat i have made a chiller costing around RS. 20,000 and works very well to keep the temp. around 28 - 30 DC. it has worked for 1500 Liters also. but the max. capacity of tank i have is 600 liters.

so if you can DIY a chiller for yourself, that work work great. in FW no titanium etc needed. ;D

hope this helps.

arpanlib

engineguy129
04-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Icescater,
I too live in So Cal, last summer it was 117 at 4 PM on one occasion, that is in the Palmdale area.....is the possibility of buying a swamp cooler out of the question?, That will cool down you house nicely if not I would opt to use a fan and a few airstones. I am spoiled.....have central air.
Good luck

Rob