PDA

View Full Version : My First Discus & Planted Tank...????

ChrisH
04-10-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm in the process of getting things together to start a 180g planted tank( My first try at plants). I'm planning on keeping some Discus, Zebra Danios, Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Harliquin Rasboras.
I already have some VHO lighting from an old reef tank, and was wondering about using VHO on planted tanks? The set-up I have now consists of 4 6' bulbs at 160w each, totaling 640w. But that would be 3.5w per gallon. Sounds like too much doesn't it?? The ballasts I have can also run CF bulbs. Should I go with the CF, instead of the VHO. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED . And feel free to give advice on my fish stocking plans as well.
Thanks
ChrisH

ChrisH
04-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Anyone???

ronrca
04-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Chris! Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Your old lighting setup would be great for a planted tank however make sure you get bulbs are the 5500-6500K instead of using the saltwater rated bulbs. If you do not want that much light, take 1 bulb out therefore totaling 2.7Wpg! I would also strongly recommend with that amount of light to look into getting a pressurized C02 system. The plants will need it.

Just out of curiousity! What is CF stand for? Is has slipped my mind at the moment!

O! About your fish selection! Leave out the danios! In general, they tend to be 'bad' fish! All the others are great tank mates! You can even get some German Rams! And dont forget about an algae combating crew like otos! ;)

Mr.Trips
04-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi Chris, Let me say that I am having very good sucess with 3 planted tanks. I have a 29 gallon with a standard 20 Watt Bulb, a 55 Gallon with 30 watts, and my 75 Gallon with 80 Watts. Each of these tanks has plants that like a lower light condition. I am using Java Ferns on the front for the low areas, and I forgot what I have in the back, but they are a very fine needle leaf, and they look like they grow an inch or two a day! I keep the light on from Daylight till about 10:00 at night

I Love live plants in my tanks, but I like the plants that I dont have to mess with a whole lot, just to trim and put tabs in the gravel for nutrieants! If your wondering about what plant you need for your tank, go to www.drsfostersmith.com they have a link to a plant section, and describes the different plants and amount of lighting. Also you can also go by a local Petsmart, and look at their plants, they have markers that say if they need high or low light! Im lucky where my LFS does plants and the gal their knows what plants are good for my lighting conditions.! Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please message me!

GDominy
04-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I can't be too much help on discus Care as I am just starting out myself, but if you want really good advice on planted tanks, head on over to www.plantedtank.net. We run a nice little forum over there and have many people who would be more then happy to answer any questions you have.

Once you get your plants going though, this definately seems like "the" place to get info for discus!

ChrisH
04-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone. This site is awsome for Discus info. I could sit and read for hours.

ronrca.. The CF stands for Compact Flourescent. Or sometimes called PC bulbs, Power Compact.

I'm definitly going to look into a CO2 system for the future. Probably not right away. Shouldn't I wait until I start to fill the tank up with plants before I put on the CO2 system??

Thanks again everyone.
ChrisH

ronrca
04-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Thank Chris! Regarding the type of lighting, I think both system are fine to go with. The most important factor in being successful with plants is intensity that your plants require. If you want beautiful and good growth, you would provide lots of light (of course then comes along the ferts and C02). If you want slower growth, you would provide less light (with the nutrients to match).

Low tech tanks as they call if use low lighting and no C02 systems. Basicly means keeping it very simple. One of the important aspects to keeping a low tech tank is choosing the correct plants.

If you want to venture into the high tech tanks with lots of light, you will need a C02 system and the ferts to match. Striking a balance is what its all about. At the moment, if you do not have plants to use the C02, theres no need in using one. ;)

Mike_T
04-16-2003, 09:59 AM
The neons will definitely get eaten. Discus love their pretty colors. I would scrap the danios, too. They're a little too active, and may irritate your discus.

Make sure you quarentine the cardinals and rasboras! I've had a planted tank nightmare, so plan carefully...and good luck!

-Mike T

http://aca2003.com/

ronrca
04-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Mike,
Why would neons get eaten but not the cardinals? I would think is doesnt matter! Cardinals, rasboras, rams, rainbow and discus are fine together.

Mike_T
04-16-2003, 10:28 AM
I have had more than one tank with discus and neons, and everytime the discus would gobble them up after the lights go out. Cardinals and rasboras get larger and fatter and are not at risk like the neons. They are also more tolerant of the warmer water. I am simply speaking from first hand experience. My last discus/neon debacle consisted of 20 "jumbo" neons and 7 adult discus in a 75 gal planted tank. Each morning there were 4 or 5 missing neons until about the 4th day, there were none. I have a tank with cardinals and discus now, and they're fine. Cardinals hurt my pocketbook though! I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying don't do it if you don't want them to get eaten. :P

I agree, rams are great tankmates for discus. Love 'em.

-Mike T 8)

http://www.aca2003.com/

ronrca
04-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Thats interesting! I have not tried neons yet but I can see that they could get eaten because they are smaller. Something to remember! ;)