PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Filter?

elarad
04-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Would a diatom or a Magnum Canister filter be a good idea on a 125 gallon tank? What do they do? Should I get one?

Carol_Roberts
04-12-2003, 01:49 PM
When you have a lot of suspended particles in the water column you would run a diatom filter for a few hours to make the water sparkling clear. I have never used a diatom or magnum filter.

RandalB
04-12-2003, 03:50 PM
I use the magnum 350 with the micron filter on my planted 35. You have to use the outer prefilter sleeve or it clogs very quickly. Keeps the water pretty clean though. I use it continuously.

RandalB

04-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I use a Diatom filter on a regular schedule.
If you can chose you might want to use the mag. it is a bit better regarding handling. Both are the same in result.

Ronald

korbi_doc
04-13-2003, 01:32 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I've always used the Vortex diatom filter to polish the water, salt or fresh, & loved the results. Have been reluctant to use it with the discus cuz don't want to spill the powder in the tank. I know you can get it running & put it in the tank without spillage, but I've not been real clever with it. Still do use it, but found that my HOT magnum will do the same thing & is easier to use quickly, just hang it on, start it up & "voila" its clean!! Love it!!!

I agree with Ronald, both work, same result!! lol, Dottie :cool: :o ;D ;D

lkleung007
04-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Hey Gang,

I have been curious about these filters as well. For those of you who do use the Diatom or HOT Magnum filters to "polish" the water, how often do you use it and for how long? Do you just use it per routine; or just when you need it??

Thanks for the input!!

Regards, Lester

korbi_doc
04-14-2003, 12:34 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I use mine just when needed for those "suspended particles". Works great, can use in emergency for full filtration or new tank. Dottie ;D ;D

Harriett
04-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Dottie, the magic about not getting diatom sludge into the tank when you start up the vortex is pretty striaghtforward once a genius explains it to you:
Set the vortex up per usual. Get a cheap 1/2 gallon plastic pitcher-- the kind with a handle that is attached at the rim but NOT attached at the side of the pitcher--that just hangs parallel to the pitcher side. Fill the pitcher 2/3 with tank water and hang it by the handle on the rim of the tank, IN the tank. Put both in and out hoses from vortex in the filled pitcher. Turn on and invert the vortex for 30 sec. to prime it. The water will run into and out fof the pitcher and NOT the tank at this point. Pour diatom earth mixed with water to a milkshake consistancy a bit at a time into the pitcher; wait for water to clear in pitcher before adding more. When it's all been added and the water is running clear in the pitcher again, lower the pitcher edge into the tank and slide the hoses out of the pitcher into the tank--if you take the hoses out of the water while you're doing the transition you lose the priming--so be sure they stay in the water at all times once you start. That's it! Good luck,
Harriett

discusnovice
04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
For what it is worth I have a Magnum 350 and just love it. My water is sparkling clear, looks like they are swimming in AIR. I run mine 24/7 and could not be more pleased. :D :P

Rick_May
04-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Well I've just changed from using the magnum type filter, I picked up a system 1 DE filter on ebay and I love it. The biggest pro I've found with the system 1 is the setup and cleanup with the system 1. All you do is dump the DE into the jar screw it on and turn on the power. Very little makes it into the tank. now I know I've brought this up before here but for those who missed it and like the magnum filters, they can be used as a DE filter by simply loading the micron filter with 1/3 cup DE. The way you do it is to set up the magnum running into a small bucket. it needs to be located right next to the tank. let the filter run until the water is clear then (this is the important part) remove the screen, stick your finger into the input, and move it into the tank. you need to have the filter running the whole time so the DE wont unload off the micron cartage. After the filter is running in the tank, replace the screen. This will filter for about 12 hours at which point you'll need to clean it

04-15-2003, 04:44 PM
I do it exactly the way Harriett described it.

Ronald