PDA

View Full Version : Red Spotted Cloud Leopard Pair From Sunrise-Tropical !

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 09:17 AM
I ordered this pair from Tony-sunrisetropical for this Friday 04/18/03 delivery. I am so exciting !

http://mrdiscus.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/clpair407.jpg

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 09:19 AM
The female R-S-C-L

http://mrdiscus.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/RspottedCloudleopard407.jpg

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 09:20 AM
The Male R-S-C-L

http://mrdiscus.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/RcloudLeopard.jpg

chirohorn
04-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Nice fish. Are they a mated pair? If so, what's the size & price?

04-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Steven, I see you ordered one of Tony's famous pairs....I ordered a pair from him about a year or so ago myself...............Both MALES are doing great......
Good luck with them........

Randy

Top_Bhoy
04-14-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm trying not to be making any personal statements on the quality of Stevens fish - if he's happy with them (and I'm sure he is), good...I'd like to expand the thread a little and ask what are peoples opinions on hybrids such as these.

Admittedly I have never seen these types for real but personally I just can't see the attraction of them. Nothing to do with their shape, size or health..just the colour and pattern - it isn't my cup of tea at all. Perhaps photos don't do the colours and patterns justice.

To me, fish like this is a hybridisation too far... they are almost like, without the dye, dyed glassfish in a LFS tank. I'm no genetic expert, but I also think the name 'Red Spotted Cloud Leopard' says a lot about the quality of its origins and gene pool.

What is everyones elses views and just how poular are these fish among aquarists?

Chris

04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
I always wonder what kindof fry they're going to throw. Whether there'll be very many(or any) like the parents. Apparently in some cases with strains like these you end up with less than 10% of the fry looking like the parents. In some ways it would be kindof fun to get 8 different kinds of discus from one spawn. It would also be kindof disappointing. I guess for the people coming up with such strains it's also a way of making sure people aren't reproducing their fish on a large scale.
I've only been into discus for a little less than a year, but the more I learn about them, the more interested I am in wilds and the more "classic" strains of discus...

fcdiscus
04-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Very Fancy Name! Frank ::)

JeffreyRichard
04-14-2003, 01:56 PM
To me, fish like this is a hybridisation too far... they are almost like, without the dye, dyed glassfish in a LFS tank. I'm no genetic expert, but I also think the name 'Red Spotted Cloud Leopard' says a lot about the quality of its origins and gene pool.

Chris

Actually, it is nothing like an artificially dyed fish, assuming that the fish pictured isn't hormoned or atificially enhanced.

The colors we see in discus today are the results of breeding for specific traits in an environment that reduces or eliminates the laws of natural selection. The Laws of Natural Selection result in the characteristics we see in wild fish ... these fish have evolved over time to be successful in their environment.

When you remove the fish from there natural environment and grow them in a "protected" environment, you remove most of the factors that that are against, say, growing up as a red fish. This doesn't mean that the Red color isn't a natural mutation, it probably is. This means that over the thousands/millions generations of wild discus over time, there (mostlikely) has been examples of at least the first generations of mutations we've seen in the hobby, such as solid blue and pigeon blood. It just that these fish don't survive because they don't have the optimum characteristics; and they can't breed to further the mutation.

This is why I personally have no problem developing mutations of color and shape ... they are just as "natural" as the wild fish ... they just aren't geared to survival in the wild.

Just my opinion ...

Jeff

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Personally I like the new red spotted clouds and fruity pebbles. I like white based discus. These are new colors so the shape and eye color aren't as nice as they will be in later generations.

I saw these pictures on Sunrise's website and the price listed. New colors command a much higher price than common colors because of supply and demand.

I can't wait to see fry from these and the ones that Matt Parsons and Liz received from Joe (they are the same aren't they?) Does anyone know what the fry will be composed of?

04-14-2003, 02:13 PM
The Cloud Leopard has been around in Asia for a few years. They are very popular. Some of them have very nice tri-color and bi-color. david is correct that they do not breed true. I think none of the new millenium fish can. IMHO. These type of fish are the ultimate challenge to breed and not commercially productive. As my rule to raise fry and the high percentage of culling. I need a mimimun of 100 fry to start. These fish could not provide me with the acceptable number, growth and body shape. I gave up on them after a few attempts and concentrate on the wild instead. Just my personal opinion. After all, It's colorful to look at and a nice addition for a show tank.
Jimmy.

allan_mark76
04-14-2003, 04:00 PM
**OUCH** I saw the price and I'm like "DAAAAAAMN"

A-

RAWesolowski
04-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Chris,

I do not appreciate some of the "sport" hybrids that have been introduced although they are interesting both from a genetic background and in terms of appearance.

Would I buy them? No, I don't care for the colors and patterns just like you. However, it is fascinating when you consider the colors that have blossomed from the wilds in less than 40 years!