PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up your breeding tank ?

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 11:54 AM
What do you prepare for your breeding tank before you put your pair in ?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2003, 12:01 PM
I use a 29 gallon tank with a sponge filter, heater and thermometer. You can use a breeding cone, PVC pipe or even a clay plant pot.

I start them in whatever water they are used to being in then lower my medium hard water (11 GH, 276 TDS, pH 7.8) by doing daily water changes with RO mix (75% RO + 25% tap)

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Carol,

1st of of, thanks for responding !

I just want to verify something real quick: I am going to use the water from the community tank in which the pair is currently in, let say, fill the 29 gal up with that water, I use new sponge filter, set the heater at the same temparature, do you move your pair in the 29 gal right the way or wait for a week for the sponge filter to build bacteria ?

And what do you do if you receive your new pair today when all the parameters are different from your breeding tank ?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2003, 01:11 PM
I'd start running the new filter in the community tank at least two weeks before moving it to the breeding tank. I'd fill the breeding tank with fresh, aged water. No need to use dirty water from community tank.

Set up breeding tank at least 12 hours in advance to make sure heater holds the correct temperature.

How are the water parameters different? If your water is a little higher pH than the breeders water that will be fine.

Are you getting a new pair today?

ronrca
04-14-2003, 02:19 PM
I agree with Carol plus use fishless cycling method to ensure good bacteria build up!

shootingstar
04-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Carol,

My new pair will arrive on friday 04/18.

Can I fill the 29 gal tank with new & fresh RO mix ( 75% RO + 25% aged water ) and then use the spronge filter which has been in the community tank for about 2 months and let it run from today ? is it going to be ok for the new pair ?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Steve:
Set up your tank with water and heater today, run an airstone in it for now. No sponge filter yet - there is no ammonia in the tank and you don't want the filter to starve.

What is the pH at sunriseTropicals?
What is yours in the tank with RO/tap mix?

On Friday before you put the clouds in the tank, gently rinse out the sponge filter in nonchlorine water, take off the airstone and add the sponge filter.

RAWesolowski
04-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Steve,

Worry less about the "perfect" ph parameters than the temperature differential between shipment and release of the fish.

Since you are thinking about breeding the fish, Carol's suggestion is great:

I start them in whatever water they are used to being in then lower my medium hard water (11 GH, 276 TDS, pH 7.8) by doing daily water changes with RO mix (75% RO + 25% tap)

Key to new fish is let them get used to their new environment then gradually bring the parameters down to your optimum breeding parameters.