PDA

View Full Version : APRIL 2003 SPOTLIGHT - FRANK (FCDISCUS)

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:32 PM
All,

Welcome to the 1st Anniversary of Simply Discus Member Spotlight. This month we have Frank, long time member and contributor, and instead of a Q/A session, Frank wrote us a little autobiography which I edited and am pasting here for your enjoyment.

I am also including a number of pics from Frank's hatchery including some community tanks, breeding pairs and some young. I also have to say that I'm going to personally try to stop by Frank's place this summer and will add some material at that time as well.

That's enough of an introduction - here's Frank!

I am 52 years old, married for almost 25 years (poor woman) and have lived on Long Island for my entire life. I was born in a small log cabin in Brooklyn, but raised in New Hyde Park. Since, I have owned 3 houses, the last of which is in Manorville here on the Island. The house has a large basement, which is perfect for my tanks. The basement also has a full apartment, which has my own kitchen and a living room which will eventually become a showroom.
About a year ago, I made a commitment to try and become a professional Breeder. I sold all my old business properties, and have enough money to live on for about 2 full years, while I make this attempt. Got to give it a good solid shot!
I have raised and bred Discus since 1992. I have been into tropical fish since the 50s. I remember as a kid, waiting for the Thursday Newsday, to see the ads for Ed's Aquarium, and Tropical Showcase here on LI, and begging my father to take me to all the stores on Saturday. Even then, my dream was to just keep this gorgeous round fish, that swam so majestically in its tank. My Dad disuaded me due to the difficulty he remembered from his own fishkeeping days and the cost of the fish. I vowed one day to give it a try.
My father was no stranger to tropical fish, either. He and his father raised all types of fish when he was a boy in an unheated greenhouse in Brooklyn. Mostly livebearers, and some cichlids - what he called Egyptian Mouth Breeders comes to mind. His experience taught me how to achieve my first breeding success with Bettas.
In the early 90's, I bought and read a ton of Discus books - everything by Degen and Wattley and Axelrod. It was then that I decided to give the fish a whirl. My first Discus were from a local breeder in Shirley LI by the name of Gil Curtins. A few hours with Gil, and you felt you could set the world on fire. Course, since I knew it all too - I decided to try some things my way. I consequently killed quite a few fish. However, time and learning by trial and error, I eventually managed a spawn of Royal Blues. I actually raised three to maturity!
I kept my hobby rather small, and then decided to increase my room by converting my garage in Bayport (home at the time). I increased my fishroom to about 20 tanks, and things were going very well. Then came the BIG mistake!
I purchased a group of 10 Ghost discus from a LFS. I had them in their own tank in the fish room, and they seemed fine, but all of a sudden, the rest of my fish got deadly ill. It was what was currently known or being called the Discus "Plague." It killed about 90% of my stock, and I never really did get back into the hobby til last year. This attack was in 1997, or 1998 - I forget which.
Up until last year, I had only a few tanks, and maybe 15 fish and was slowly getting out of the hobby. I then came back and with a splash! I have spent a ton on fish and new tanks, and have increased my number of tanks to about 30 of various sizes. I have approximately 125 adults, and 10 to 15 pairs to work with. Many of the pairs are as yet still unproven, but coming along nicely. I do not have an auto WC system yet, so I do spend 6 to 10 hours a day, working on the tanks. In my opinion- there is nothing like clean tanks and clean water for keeping Discus. Ask my best internet buddy, Tad Fujita - and he will tell you I preach Clean, Clean, Clean!
My advice to anyone wishing to breed discus for some part time hobby and business is this - DEDICATION! You must stay with them and monitor and clean constantly, and you will have success - though maybe no money! There are so many things that can happen, and like Mr. Murphy said - they will! The last thing to do is panic! I found this site last June I believe, and have found tremendous insight and information here and at DAAH. (Of course - I supply that info!) I do firmly believe there is more info on these sites than in any Discus book ever written. In fact, most books give false information in my opinion - especially on Discus water conditions.
My future plans currently include more growout tanks and an auto WC system for them and then the rest of my large tanks. I will continue to do Breeder tanks by hand, at least for the forseeable future. My favorite strains tend to be blue fish. I have Blue SS, and Fantastic Brilliant Blues, and Red Turks. I am working hard to add some red melon strains also. I do have White Butterflies, and they have had wigglers, but not attachment, but again, they are young fish. Another favorite pair of mine are a pair of Red Diamonds I purchased from Dennis Hardenberger. Problem is - I think I broke them! Still working on them though - I am very patient.
As for feeding, I use a good deal of Tetra Bits and a ton of California Blackworms! Last year, I broke an old rule and tried some from Dan! Damn- the fish loved them! And they were alive the next day - and the next - and on and on and on. I was under the mistaken impression that CBW would give my fish all the terrible diseases in the world. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS! They are the best stuff in the world for Discus! I was very relieved to see how well accepted they were when I began reading the forums!
Well, I guess that about covers it! My cudos - ok - well to my wife for letting me do this and take this risk. To my friend Cary - who is always there when I need some help and gave me some very important encouragement! (One of these days, I may even meet him!) Gil Curtin, whose initial advice for me was invaluable. Tim Thimios - who supplied some awesome fish for me and sound help whenever I asked. Tad Fujita - for just being there to listen to me ***** and moan some days. And of course, my Dad-RIP.

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Some hatchery pics...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:34 PM
A dark picture...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:35 PM
More hatchery...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Pairs...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:36 PM
More pairs...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:37 PM
And some more...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:38 PM
More pairs...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Frank sure does have some nice fish...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Nice round fish...

Tyler
04-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Great spotlight Frank! This is a neat format too....You did a good job. Frank, love your fish, and you really know your stuff.....I think im gonna have to take a ride over there one day and pick up some fish.
Great pics!

Tyler

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:47 PM
And some more...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:55 PM
That's a LOT of water changes on the manual system, Frank...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:56 PM
More fishies...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:57 PM
More fish...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Lots of fish...

DarkDiscus
04-14-2003, 03:58 PM
And that's it! Thanks again, Frank!

oodi
04-14-2003, 04:08 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good job, Frank!!!

I would just like to add, that if not for Frank, I don't think we would have ever been able to raise our first batch of babies. We are indebted to him for all his help and encouragement!

Judi
:)

brewmaster15
04-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Wow Frank! I knew you were nuts for Discus but Wow!! Nice set up..lots of room to grow. I wish you all the luck inthe world with the breeding operation!

Now with a place like that you could probably host a really nice discus meeting ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the interview John, and Thank you Frank for the glimpse into the life of one of the forums up and coming commercial breeders! :)

-al

04-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Frank,
Interesting story, Nice fish :)
david

Chad
04-14-2003, 04:18 PM
WOW Frank you are getting serious HUH.... Very nice interview..... I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST~~ I hope you make it and your business thrives... you are one of the good ones out their!!

Chad

henryD
04-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Wow great pictures and interview. I recently bought some discus from Frank. He answered all the questions I had and was very patience. I can be a pretty pesty guy when it comes to discus. I got 25 in all. They were packed really well. But more importantly the fish looks awesome. They were all very round. Some great color and patterns. They ate 1 hour after I put them in the tank. The poor things had been in bags for 18 hours. However, they were fine. I hope I do a good job raising them. I will post some pictures when I get my digital camera back. Thanks for everything Frank.

PS. I my new 110 gallon tank is cycling nicely. Hint hint...
;D

bmrin1
04-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Frank,
That is a greast story and boy you have some damn nice fish.
Brian

jeep
04-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Another favorite pair of mine are a pair of Red Diamonds I purchased from Dennis Hardenberger. Problem is - I think I broke them! Still working on them though - I am very patient.

Why don't you send them to me, Frank ;D ;D ;D

Aquatic_Design
04-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi Frank,
You have a very nice setup and beautiful discus. I just have one question. Are we ever going to see a picture of you ??? ;D ;)

Ryan
04-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Very nice :o ;D I love the whites. You have to get some fry so that I can grow them out and cross them with my white fry from April (I'm jumping the gun, April's fry aren't even shaped like discus yet -- still babies). Cool interview :) I love all your tanks, it must be an amazing sight to see so many discus in each tank. How big are your w/c with a load like that?

Ryan

gary1218
04-14-2003, 05:42 PM
DAMN Frank, now I wish mench and I would've braved the bad weather to come and visit you a few months back. You GOTTA get that next Northeast Discus meeting set up so we have an excuse to come out and visit.

Let me know when those white guys start doing something for you.

GARY

April
04-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Frank that was a very nice biography. thanks for sharing.
i really enjoyed it.
where did you get the white fish? they look alot like the ones i got recently. mine came from cary.
when are you going to learn to ship to canada? we need nice fish up here too you know...
oh.and Frank is also one of our top 15 posters here on simply. lol.
Keep on posting Frank and keep on breeding. 8) :thumbsup:
glad we wil soon have another good guy to encourage more people to spend their money on fish.

Ardan
04-14-2003, 06:17 PM
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Nice Job Frank and John!

RKeiger
04-14-2003, 07:22 PM
I started talking to Frank some time ago when I was selling a pair online. I talk to him now almost everyday. Other than his funny accent (I'm from the south and Frank just don't talk right), he's a great guy with tons of information. Some of the prettiest, roundest fish I have are from Frank and I look forward to getting more next month from him. I can honestly say that without Frank's advice, I would have lost quite a few fish over the past year. Now, if we could just get him to stop rooting for the Mets we'd have a fine human being on our hands. ;D

Bobby

Denny
04-14-2003, 07:28 PM
As president of his fan club ;D I have to say that Frank is a swell guy no matter what Tad says about him when he is offline :o
Frank,

Now that you are retired you should move here to the midwest, Slow down, relax,take it easy,get away from all the traffic and noise. ;)

pres

Willie
04-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Frank;

That write up brought back a flood of memories. Back in the late 60's (can you believe how long ago that was), I was a young kid in Queens waiting for the Thursday ad from Ed's Aquarium. It was a 1.5 mile walk each way from our apartment and I did it once a week to buy 25 cents worth of tubifex worms for my angels!

Do you remember a huge store in downtown Manhattan called New York Aquarium Shop, or something like that? It had stuff you only saw in the Innes book.

OK, I'm back in 2003. Thanks for the memories, Willie

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I have a few questions for you Frank . . . Why do you keep all your filter boxes under your tanks . . . . what did you do for a living that you can retire at 52 . . . and what are all those boxes stacked up on the right hand side of the last picture on page one, perfectly aligned and facing the same direction . . . . my family wonders why I keep my shirts, etc. in color order starting with red on the left and progressing through the rainbow with black and white on the end. . lol

You're getting some really nice discus. You're lucky to live in a large metropolitan area with a market for discus. Good luck to you!

SLY
04-14-2003, 11:11 PM
frank it's good to know more about you and read your passion about discus..keep up the good work and enjoy the fruit of your success. Good Luck. ;)

Dennis_Hardenburge
04-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Frank
Good interview, and some really nice fish.
The only thing I found out that was dissapionting is you are younger than me. I always thought you were older, ha ha
Dennis

April
04-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Carol.....would you like to come and organize my closet? lol
lets see..i have a freezer in mine...and other stuff. not too many clothes.and certainly not colour co-ordianted.
now i have to go see those pics of franks boxes .lol never for one second noticed them.

Jean
04-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Hey Frank! ;D

Totally cool seeing all your tanks and fish!!!! Nice room and more room for expansion too-wish I had that kinda room in my basement!!!
'Tanks'for sharing your background for all of us to enjoy!

Jean 8) ;D

paulmat
04-15-2003, 01:22 AM
What a great interview, I have learned a lot more about him and respect him even more than I already did.
What a nice s/u Frank, and all those beautiful fish of yours. I would love to see them in person someday. I know,Tad, Judi and I will fly on out there and crash at your place,eat all your food and take some of those beauties home with us.
What are you doing next weekend Frank???????

Paul :guitarist:

discus_nw
04-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Good job, Frank. I wish we would have met that night at the Wattley talk on Long Island the LIAS put on. :)

CARY_GLdiscus
04-15-2003, 01:53 AM
WOW!
That was better then Mine ;D

No Really Great job! Well done John + frank :-*

Best wishes to You both! ;D

Cary Gld!

P.S
It was so sad at the end :'( :'( :'( There was :) times there was >:( there was even 8) Times and some that were real :-X
LOL!

beta
04-15-2003, 02:28 AM
Thats some collect u got there! keep up the good work :)

04-15-2003, 03:21 AM
nice racks, Frank :)
are these what they look like with the lights on?? ;D (j/k)

04-15-2003, 03:23 AM
i couldn't see these two pics....for anyone else who couldn't either-enjoy...

the other one

paulmat
04-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Hey, wait a minute,wheres the pic of Frank ::)

Paul :guitarist:

darcy
04-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Great interview John and Frank!!!! yea a pic of Frank would have been nice!!! :-* :-*

Darcy

fcdiscus
04-15-2003, 10:48 AM
The Discus are better looking! Frank

RandalB
04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Way to go Frank,
Ballsy move going with Discus full time man. I wish you the best. If there is anything I can help you with let me know.

Break a Leg,
RandalB

BLUEKNIGHT
04-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Great Fish Frank. Good Luck with them. :o :o

chuck
04-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Way to go Frank, and Much Success!! :thumbsup: And best of all you live so close!!!!
It's funny reading your bio ..We must have existed in Parallel universe's, I too lived my life on the island, made monthly pigimages to Ed's Tropical showcase, was inspired by Gil Curtin lost all my stock to the "Plague" in 1999. Got disenchanted and ready to throw everything out the door, jumped back into things again....
Scheesh, Talk about Identity crisis's ... OH GOD !!! I must be you!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

chuck

Jeff
04-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Nice job Frank. It looks good. ;)

04-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for sharing :)

alex

Denny
04-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Frank left out an interesting tidbit on his life that many people are not aware of and it explains why he never shows his face.

In 1972 he was an aspiring guitar player. He landed a spot on the roster of the rock band KISS.Things were going well until Frank missed a practice because he was home doing water changes and he was released.

To this day he still covers his face when someone has a camera to hide his identity in hopes that they will need a guitar player and call him back.

Now you have the real story ;D

hunterbeav
04-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Wow Frank great job and your water is crystal clear. It takes a lot of work to keep it that way. My hats off to you very nice fish too!!!!!! Maybe someday soon we can do some trading!!!! :o Jim & Diane :)

Aquarius
04-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Very nice Frank! About time I see pics of all them fish. I just purchased some of Franks babies and it was first class packaging and even better Discus :)

Oh, BTW, here's the pic of Frank that every one was looking for.. Hope ya don't mind Frank :o

RichieE
04-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Great story Frank. Discus look Goooood. I have an empty 30 gall that can take a few quarter sized fish. Let me know when I can help you thin the herd ;D.

Like you and Chuck Ive been on Long Island all my life. My dad was also big into fish. He took me into Eds Aquarium on Halloween night in 1968 or 1969. They gave every kid a free gold fish. I figure that free fish cost about $100,000 over the years ;D Good luck with your dream. Rich

thebaglady
04-16-2003, 11:23 PM
You know...he just doesn't seem that mean at all. ???

In fact, I'd say he's kind of a nice guy. ;)

Enjoyed the bio very much, Frank. Good luck!! Jen K.

04-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Frank: Enjoy your Bio. Just you and I put together already have a century of fish keeping experience. Good luck with your new venture. I'll think twice before breeding professionally. You're lucky to be able to break even in discus business. KISS KISS KISS. What a group!!
Jimmy.

Mr.Trips
04-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Com'n Frank lets see a picture of your big ol Lug Head!

Tad
04-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Frankie,
Congratulations on the great interview/Autobiography ;D Tanks are looking great as always "Clean, clean,clean" I personally want to thank Frank for all the help and advice he has given me on how to care for my discus. I would not have had the success that I have had without his assistance. Frank you are truly an asset to the hobby. Good luck in all of your endeavors and if anyone can do it, I know it will be you. ;)

Thanks for being a friend,
Tad

zoids
04-19-2003, 07:24 AM
John and Frank,

Great job guys :thumb:.

Frank, it nice to know a little more about you :).

All the best with the fishes they look great!!!!

Roy

breed_beyond
04-19-2003, 12:42 PM
We still want that picture tho Frank, don't shy were all nice here........

Miles
04-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Frank,
Wishing you all the best. Outstanding article.

Miles :)

jrpatter
04-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Hmmm frank i got one question, it looks like you have the tanks centered on the stand and not one the edge over the 2x4, is this true? or are you running supports underneath that i cant see? just wondering what is holding the tanks up :)

John

Pick
04-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Nice to meet ya Frank! Love those tanks full CLEAN water and ROUND fish!

Chuck! Snap out of it! Go do a water change! It'll calm you back down!

TC

EthanCote.com
04-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Hey Frank,

Great bio thanks for giving us a small insight into your world. I didn't know you were going for full fledge breeder status. I wish you all the best with your new venture and may it brings you many rewards.

Take care.

Cheerio,

Chi.

hanleong
04-26-2003, 09:30 AM
We still want that picture tho Frank, don't shy were all nice here........

a newbie here.. Great to learn more about this gentleman from this wonderful interview, and get to see some many of those beautiful discus.. Just hope that I can have as much space in my house...

lastly, I would really be able to appreicate Frank better, if I can at least have an idea how he look like... ::) ::)

fcdiscus
04-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks to all of you for your very nice replies! They are greatly appreciated. Some special mentions:
Carol-Yes, I am Anal! :(
Bobby- I am a Yankee fan first and foremost! ;)
Jrpatter-I dunno what holds them up???? ???
Al-Thanks for this outstanding Discus Forum! You are tops!

Everyone who wants a picture-Ok-Here ya go! Frank 8)

henryD
04-28-2003, 03:25 PM
That is classic. Very funny picture. LMAO.

:D

rickk
05-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi Frank
I too enjoyed your story and love your set up

I agree with you, I have read a mountian of books and find that they only tell part of the story, Ive been with this forum for only 2 days and the help has been just fantastic and the info, well you just cannot put a price on it.

There is just not enough hours in the day to get through it all. ( I'm trying just the same)

the best of luck with your full time endevour

Rick

05-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey Frank,

i have a question?

How big is that tank in the kitchen?

It's the first pic in the thread.

You got 23-24 discus in there?

What is the filtration and how often water change?

thanks

alex

fcdiscus
05-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Hey Alex- that is a 55 with two sponge filters, and a Penguin 330 power filter. Insertds in the Penquin are cleaned every day and 50% water is changed every day. Wipe downs are done 2 or 3 times a week. I will have to thin that tank out soon. Frank

dan724
08-02-2003, 04:27 PM
My first Post on this very informative forum.

Frank I'm taking the ride out to the island from the city to see you soon! great article, I would appreciate the selection being so close. The fish in the pics look GREAT!