PDA

View Full Version : starting a fishless cycle

shorthair
04-15-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm going to be setting up a new 90 gal tank tonight and would like to know the proper technique to do a fishless cycle. Will be using an AC500 to filter with carbon removed and extra foams inplace. Thanks, shorthair.

ronrca
04-15-2003, 03:40 PM
First get the tank setup as if fish were in it like temperature, treated from chlorine/chloramines, etc! Then add ammonia until it reads 5ppm. I use a pipette, the same ones that come with test kits (but I dedicate the pipettes only to the ammonia). Are you seeding it? If so, test ammonia/nitrite levels the next day. If not, test the levels after 3 days. Never leave the ammonia reach 0 for more than a day therefore keep adding it. Once your nitrates reach 20ppm, do a 50% water change, test the levels and add ammonia again. Test the next day for ammonia/nitrites again! Hopefully they are 0! If not, keep adding a little ammonia daily until the nitrites reach 0. You may need to perform a few more water change when nitrates reach 20ppm!

shorthair
04-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks ronrca, Do you know approx. how much ammonia to add at first. I read somewhere to add 2-3 drops per gallon. Does that sound right?

ronrca
04-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Sorry! I cant remember exactly the amount! You can try it at that amount, test the level and add more if needed. It does not have to be an accurate measurement, just as long as it is not too much ammonia as this will hinder bacteria growth.

Smokey
04-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Devin; add ammonia to the tank untill you get a reading of 5 pppm. to start with! Total water volume should read 5 ppm - NH3.

Then as Ron mentioned, moniter and test and add ammonia until you get Nitrates readings. Then it is just a matter of w/c's and more testing; to be sure the tank's biological is fully developed and mature.

TnMark
04-15-2003, 06:46 PM
All ammonias have different concentration (some have more water than others). I used Walmart brand ammonia for my 135 gallon tank and needed 6 teaspoons to get to 5ppm.

gary1218
04-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Shorthair,

Don't expect this fishless recycle to be a time saving process over just adding fish to the tank and letting it cycle that way. In my experience they both take about the same length of time, about 4 weeks.

GARY

shorthair
04-15-2003, 08:18 PM
I don't expect it to speed it up. The reason I want to do a fishless is so I don't contaminate my tank with disease with other fish (just in case). ;D

Smokey
04-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Smart move Devin. i used ''real'' fish to cycle my tanks; then had to let them go :'( :'( :'(.

ronrca
04-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Another advantage for fishless is building up a huge bio filter allowing you to add any number of fish based on tank size!

Discusgeo
04-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Shorthair you should have went to the Library on this forum and you would have found the answer right away. Heres the link to the info you need.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=5807

thebaglady
04-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Good post Discus George. And did you read that Ryan was banned for a similar one earlier? Yes. Times have changed.

I usually do the squeeze the sponge filter type seeding and/or adding gravel from an established tank. Haven't had any trouble, but there's always a first time I guess. Don't want to take any chances with these beauties.

Thanks again George. Jen K.

Discusgeo
04-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Baglady since I build my own sponge filters I have a better way of seting up a new tank. My sponge measures 1 3/8 thick and 4 3/8 wide and I use 3 pieces to make my filter. What I do is glue the first piece to a 4x4 tile. Then place 2 more sponges on top of that. By leaving the top 2 free all you do is slide them off the PVC to rinse them out when necessary. Then when I know I am going to need another sponge filter for a new tank I just remove one of the top two pieces and place it on the new filter material I glued down 24 hours before. I now have an instant biological filter. No more killing Discus, Angels or any tropical fish because you are waiting for the filter to cycle. Look at the picture below.
George

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=940468

thebaglady
04-16-2003, 10:47 PM
That's a great idea George!!

And am I having dejavu??...I think I've seen this posted before. I have been on this computer reading and learning SO much getting ready for my discus.

Now i have them, I'm loving them and I'm totally addicted to the discus forums!!

Again, great idea, thanks for posting. Sincerely, Jen K.

Smokey
05-13-2003, 07:18 PM
George, Smokey here. I applaude you for your wisdom and creativity!
I realize this is an old post, however, the interest is in the favor of the discus !!!

As an inventer/designer/ hey this is a better mousetrap idea; I am always trying something ''NEW'' !!! Hmmm maybe i am open-minded. hahahha

A long time ago ; when I was first starting out; I would walk into a ''LFS - and a few others''; just to study how things worked. Then I would ''LET'' the salesperson convince me that this is the product to ''BUY'' !!! Actually; this took little convincing - I was caught up in the '' IDEAL HOBBIEST AQUARIUM KEEPER''. MENTALITY. Mind you; simplyDiscus did not exsist;
HELL computers/internet did not exsist. There is an extreme time difference between the two.
Today a person can ''logon'' to a site and post an opion [ex - you are wrong - I am right].

Devin - the flatlander - [hehehehehehehehe] who started this post - has taken upon himself to look, learn, and ask question !!! Not to mention - he called me outa the blue just to ask some questions.

HOWEVER - AND my point - A person can logon and express his/her ''NEW IDEA''.

It is to this I applaude. NEVER STOP THINKING/DREAMING.

The only bad idea is the one never execuded !!!

My appologizes to the ''***' !!! One who confronts someones idea/individualism.