PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer

TnMark
04-16-2003, 10:45 AM
I haven't used any fertilizer in my planted tank since I got it (about 4 months now). The plants seem to be doing ok but not great. Some leaves seem brittle and other plants seem to have less leaves on their stems than when I got them. Most do seem alright though. Does that mean that they are getting most of the proper nutrients from fish waste and water changes? Would adding a fertilizer help? What type and brand fertilizers do you use? Liquid? Tablets? Spikes? Thanks.

ronrca
04-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Ferts would definitely increase plant growth and looks! However, you should match the lighting and C02 along with it depending on your tank!

Imo, liquid ferts work the best. Spikes are a disaster in waiting. If you more a plant the spike will 'explode' all over the tank causing massive green water and algae (which Im still trying to recover from). Again, imo, getting ferts from hydroponics stores are the best and will be the cheapest. These ferts tend to be more concentrated also than the lfs fert brands.

TnMark
04-16-2003, 03:09 PM
I have about 300 watts of 6700 degree compact flourescents. I chose plants for this moderate light level. I plan to add a pressurized CO2 system late this year (when the money situation is better).

Is there a specific type or brand of fertilizer you have been sucessful with? Thanks.

ronrca
04-16-2003, 04:32 PM
I used Laguna Pond Fertilizer for quite a while. It worked pretty good. I switched to a local hydroponic store brand about a month ago so Im still testing it! I didnt like Tropica's Mastergrow because of the outragous price and not a great increase in performance (basicly $30 a month+).

ChloroPhil
04-17-2003, 11:17 AM
TnMark,

With 300w of light you're definately going to need pressurized CO2 and a combination of liquid and dry chemical fertilizers. I've used this combination with great success:

Potassium Sulfate (Dry) from www.ecogrow.com 5lbs will last a long time
Fleet Enema (Phosphate) from Eckerds 1.79 for a few years' supply
Stump Remover (Nitrate) from Home Depot: 1lb is a 6mo supply for my 90
Trace Mix (Dry) from ecogrow.com or www.hydroponics.com (the latter is a Canadian establishment..custom charges kill an American)

I've also used Seachem's Flourish for traces with success. A big bottle is enough to last quite a while. Make sure you get Flourish and not Flourish Trace..the latter is very dilute.

Wahter
04-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I use Tropica MasterGrow - in some tanks, I supplement with Seachem's Flourish Iron in addition to the Tropica MasterGrow and in one tank, I use Azoo's Red Plant Nutrients as well.

TnMark
04-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks! :)