PDA

View Full Version : Beefheart Mania

DarkDiscus
04-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Okay, I've been trying to figure this beefheart thing for a while now. I hear of all these great breeders and hobbyists who feed beefheart exclusively and have huge, beautiful fish. There are also those who use beefheart as part of a routine with other foods.

I give my fish beefheart and they stare at it blankly. I can starve them, try every trick in the book and they won't touch it.

I fed them the beefheart I got from Al which his fish love and eat greedily. I tried some beefheart that Francisco prepared and gave to Al and again the fish won't touch it. So last weekend I food processed and ground up some of my own. Still the fish won't eat the stuff. They nibble, spit it out and then they look at it like it's from another planet.

So I start thinking... I've been taking a razor blade and slicing thin strips from the frozen prepared beefheart and putting them in the tank. What if the fish just don't recognize it as food? So I took my wife's cheese grater (shhh... Don't tell her!) and grated the heart into long worm-like strips.

I threw a few into my tanks.

BAM! That was it. They thought they were getting red worms and started chowing down.

I still can't believe it was that easy...

John

brewmaster15
04-16-2003, 11:18 AM
John,
I prepare mine with a hand grinder, with 2 passes thru it. Maybe the texture was key for your fish.
-al

DarkDiscus
04-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Al,

Either that or they have a red worm obsession, which they do!

;)

At least I now have another viable food for the bigger fish!

John