PDA

View Full Version : How to use Epsom Salt?

amirnezhad
04-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Hi,

There is many massages about using epsom salt but each people use this different than others, Please tell me more about using this, When I have to use Epsom Salt? How much I have to use? When I have to change water after using that and how much water change? and any other things

Thanks

chuck
04-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Epsom Salt is used to purge the intestinal tract of Discus. It's a natural Laxative (FDA Approved). It's not like table salt which is sodium chloride, Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate.
It is used to Treat "bloat" which happens when Discus eat to fast especially dry pellet foods. Gasses build up in the stomach. In serve cases it can cause discus actually float to the top of the tank and exhaust themselves trying to get back to the bottom. In less serve cases it causes distress because the fish lose their equilibrium.
The Dosage is 1-3 teaspoons / 10 gal water. Treatment is usually just 1 dose and you should see recovery in 24 hrs.
I always kept the temp around 84f which is what all my tanks are kept at.
HTH
chuck

ps do not feed them during treatment.. They probably will not eat anyway and after treatment feed very small amounts for a few days.. A good rule to follow is to feed small amount a few times/day then one large feeding 1x/day.

amirnezhad
04-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks chuck,
What if its not affect after some days, and how many days I have to use that? I do 30% WC daily.
I am still waiting for more posts, thanks again.

chuck
04-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I've had it happen a few times and it resolved itself within 24 hrs. This problem (bloating) comes on very suddenly after eatting. If you discus been showing signs slowly over days then you have another problem ( maybe swimbladder infection) Epson Salt will not help with that.
I usually skip a water change but if you can't I would add the proper amount of Epsom Salt for the amount of water your replacing. It's important that the water be the same temp as the tank water.
If it does not clear up with in 24 hrs I would suspect your dealing with something else.
chuck

Carol_Roberts
04-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Chuck has given you a lot of good information. I dose one or two teaspoons per 10 gallons. Many times you will see results in 4 hours or less. You can add another dose after 4 - 6 hours if no results and as Chuck said if no improvement after 24 hours you most likely have something besides constipation - like a bacterial infection or tumor.

GWdiscus
04-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Hi Ali,
I've been reading this posting all day, one of my discus became constipated/bloated this morning. Being new to keeping discus I thought the worst. But cooler heads prevailed, I got some great advise. The fish is doing much better, both Chuck's and Carol's comments are right on! :D

I gave a dose, 1 tsp/ 10 gal at 6 am then another when I came home at 4 pm. I left him in the tank with all the other discus (7) and they all seemed to fair very well through the treatment.

I'm going to do a 30-40% water change an about an hour and them give a small feeding about an hour after that.

chuck
04-18-2003, 08:43 AM
No problem...Glad I was able to help... ;D ;D
Carol, Your right I usually see the results in a few hours, I was just being conservative.. ( didn't want to start a panic if it didn't work in less hours) ;) ;) ;D ;D :D
Chuck

jeep
04-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Nice pictures in your web site Chuck! :)

chuck
04-18-2003, 09:18 PM
thanks Jeep, they were taken with a 35 mm held to the glass.I got a digital now and when I put up my new flash site I'll post the better ones..
chuck