PDA

View Full Version : Green Water

slim
04-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Several weeks ago my water became cloudy and green. I assume this is a nutrient bloom and I have since halted use of all fertilizers. I have been doing 25% water changes per day. This has proved to be a real battle and just when I think I am getting a handle on the green/cloudy water situation, it flares up again.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is this from nutrient loading due to overuse of fertilizer? How long before it goes away?

Audi 5000-
slim

RAWesolowski
04-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Slim,

It's not a question "if" anyone gets it, everyone gets it sooner or later.

Do three or four days of 50% water changes or more. At the same time, give your filter a thorough cleaning and wipe down the inside of your glass.

The algae bloom is seeded into your filter. The water changes will not it down and finally eliminate it. I assume you have a planted tank since you mentioned fertilizer, don't worry about pH just use tap with a dechlor agent.

ChloroPhil
04-18-2003, 11:59 PM
GW is a result of excess Ammonia and insufficient Potassium and Phosphate. I had a horrible war with the stuff for the first four or five months I ran my 90g. The only way I was able to beat it was to get a diatom filter and up my nutrients a lot to kick my plants into a high gear suitable for the amount of light in my tank.

A diatom filter will clear up the algae. UVs will kill it. The only way to make sure it doesn't come back is to get your nutrients in order. I highly recommend the Diatom filter as it's useful for polishing the water to the Nth degree.