PDA

View Full Version : Importance and Role of Food

remikz
04-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Hello all,

This is a big question to bridge some gaps in my knowledge about the different types of food to be giving to Discus.

I understand that Feeding is very important in growth and shape/colour of the fish. I also know that a balenced diet is needed. But what I don't understand is which foods do what, what to feed and when... confused? So am I!!

At the moment I feed my fish on a Artemia based Frozen discus mix, (Pretty high Protein), Frozen Beefheart (Again protein), BloodWorm (Not much protein) and Tetra Prima which is high protein and colour enhancing.

What else should I be feeding as ruffage? Or other important roles? and what and when do you feed your discus? But most importantly Why? ;D

In short (and less gobbledy-gook):

What do you feed Discus and Why?

--Ian

reptar15
04-23-2003, 05:40 PM
i believe brine shrimp serve as a "ruffage" food to the discus.

jeep
04-23-2003, 07:45 PM
99% of the time I feed a beefheart mixure containing an array of supplemental foods, vitamins and minerals. I try to get a high protein content, all main food groups and supplements into one neat package. I'm slowly increasing the amount of garlic with each batch to guard against internal parasites. I use no un-natural color enhancers.

So far so good. My discus have grown at a great rate and basically have never been sick,with the exception of a few small juvies and that was due to the water company adding additional ammonia without my knoweledge.

I received some 1 3/4" juvies at the end of Jan. and they are now almost 4". Not bad growth for about 2 months... :) I also have another 1 1/2 year old male that is pushing 7".

remikz
04-27-2003, 02:26 PM
So garlic helps with internal parasites?

what else does what?

I'm just trying to figure out what to feed and why

thakns for the replies good luck with your fish :)

jeep
04-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Try wheat germ for fertility...

http://daah.info//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1228;sta rt=0