PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

bloom
04-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi,

Been reading posts for about a week now, and the advice has helped a lot. Thanks.

I just set up a new tank--56 gal., 30x18x24h. Right now I just have the one strip light the hood came with, 24" 18w T8 bulb, and I'm planning on getting another strip light, 20w T8 bulb.

--was wondering if I'll have enough light to grow tiger Val. (val. spiralis) or Contortion Val. Any of the swords?

For the other plants for the tank, was thinking of low light plants I've seen people recommend: anubias, java fern, bolbitis, hygro, hornwort, and maybe an apongeton.

--if I won't have enough light for the Val., will the low light plants do well with just one strip light. I imagine the anubias and others will grow more with more light, but have you noticed a lot more algae on the anubias leaves if you have more than minimal light?

--also, does anyone know of a good place to buy plants in So. Florida?

Thanks for the help.:)

Steve

ChloroPhil
04-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Bloom, welcome!

The plants you've picked out should just barely make it with the light you've described. 40w of NO fluorescent over a 24" tank will reach about the top third, maybe half, of the tank. The taller plants such as the Aponogetons and Vals will grow as long as they're tall enough to reach the top 1/3 of the tank when they're first planted.

If you're going to get more light I highly recommend that you investigate power compact or very high output fluorescent lighting. 24" is too deep for NO fluorescent light to reach the bottom, 18" is about the limit for NO. JBJ and Custom Sea Life both make good fixtures and ahsupply.com sells awesome refit kits.

As far as plants in So. Florida, you're right in the thick of all the big nurseries. Try your LFS and see if they can special order you stuff. www.aquabotanic.com, www.azgardens.com, and www.aquabid.com all have decent selection of the more uncommon plants.

Enjoy!