PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln/Omaha NE

repete
04-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Hello, I am looking for locals in the Nebraska area that are breeders/hobbyists that might have discus for sale time to time. Also looking for used 75 - 150 gallon tanks.

I also would be interested in finding someone in the area that would like to split the shipping of a larger group of fish to offset the cost.

bodhidiver
04-29-2003, 05:15 AM
hello

i believe there is a discus breeder in freemont. (pidgeon bloods i think) Every fish store i've visted in lincoln says that they got their discus from someone in freemont.
I've got a 75 gallon that i've had for a few years that i was thinking about parting with. I've been lurking and researching prices for CO2 systems with the intent of trying to do both plants and discus. I'm just beginning to think that 75 is a bit grandiose for a planted discus tank.
i drive between omaha and lincoln at least once a week. dunno if you are still looking. I'm not 100% sure i'm selling this tank until i convince myself that i'm delusional in trying to sustain 75 gallons of planted aquaria.
i'd be interested in joining you in an order of discus if you are still interested.

bodhidiver
aka dave

aloha_discus
04-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Aloha, I live in fremont and breed discus and angels. I have no pidgeon bloods in my collection. I do not know of anyone else here in fremont who breeds discus. I am in the process of moving my fishroom around to make space for more tanks and three more pairs. I to would be interested in going in on the large purchase of fish. Send me PM on info. I look forward to meeting those who have similar intrests in this hobby.

Mahalo Ike ;D

repete
04-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Hello Dave and Mahalo Ike

Dave, I would be interested in speaking to you about your tank. I do not want to dash my hopes for its purchace BUT if you don't dream big you are not pushing yourself to your full potential. I believe that a 75 gallon tank is not too small for a planted discus tank , actually I was hoping to purchase a 125 for this same purpose. I have a friend with a 55 gal. and with the addition of a expensive lighting system (No CO2) he cannot get his plants to stop growing. I would like to keep in contact with you to try to schedule a order of fish when I get a larger tank set up and document your do's and dont's on a planted Discus tank. What type of fish do you keep at this time and what would you be intersted in purchasing?

Mahaol Ike, at this time I am not set up for this purchase and am looking into my options of where to purchace and what fish I would like to have. I have had alot of fun following the fish that get posted on Aquabid.com and on this site. In parallel I have been watching the papers for the chance to purchace a used larger tank locally. At this time I have 4 Super Red Turq's and two Turq's all at 2" to 3" in my 44. Another 30 sitting dry (saving for a sump) a 30 with my son's snake and a leaky 55. What Discus are you activaly breeding and what would you be looking to order?

I am very interested in keeping in contact with anyone in the immediate vicinity around Lincoln/Omaha that enjoys keeping Discus. People sure seem to buy what the stores offer but they are all the same, Pigon's, Red turq's, Turq's. I am looking for some variety of colors yellows, reds, orange, also leopards, etc. There are too many to list it's like a candy store and more addictive than nicotene.

Dave & Mahaol Ike, PM me if you would like to talk about similar interests in strains for a future order etc. :fried:

bodhidiver
04-30-2003, 05:31 AM
hey!
it's nice to know i'm not alone ...
repete, i don't have anything special in my 79 gal (300 litres?) I had some angels breeding in there about 2 years ago. there were pretty old and their time came. Currently i have just a few corys, tetras, a raphael cat, striped cat, a pretty big clown loach and a few hundred malasian snails :-\. They were left over from all of the plants i used to have, hygrophillia, rotala, combomba, dwarf hair grass, etc....fast growers.
I had one juvenile discus that my brother gave me. About the size of a quarter with a mal formed gil. (it couldn't produce suction to take in food) I put it into a 20 long heavily planted tank expecting it to die quickly (after hearing what fragile fish they are) I watched it follow flakes of food trying to suck it up but failing. This little fish lived about two 1/2 years with an apistogramis, three clown loaches and a few oto's. I never saw it actually eating but it seemed to grow until i had to move.
so my impression was that either discus are stonger than they are reputed to be or the planted environment somehow helped it to survive as long as it did.

aloha_discus
05-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Aloha repete, I have a variety of discus. I have a total of 17 different strains. I have diamond tanchos, german hi fin turq, blu ss, brilliant blu, blu diamonds, red spotted leopards, heckels, rsg, and other wilds that I rescued from a lfs. If you are interested in seeing them let me know. I have some adults that are starting to pair up and looking forward to breeding them. I do have some for sale they are a cross german hi fin x blu ss.

Mahalo, ;D Ike

bodhidiver
05-02-2003, 02:12 AM
hello aloha_discus!

to be honest i had to look up the strains your are raising. Stunning fish. I'd also love do see your handywork if you have the time someday.

If you have any for sale as well, i'd love to make a purchase after my plant tank has cycled for at least a month or so.
i also have two more twenty longs and am thinking about purchasing a 40 breeder.
As for the fish you are raising, i'm curious about the chem of the water you keep them in. do you use a substrate or are you BB? I ask this because of the three lfs in lincoln that i have seen discus, two of them were being proudly toted as being in 'lincoln city water' and one store had them in RO. All seemed to be doing well with a substrate.
Also let me know if and when you are going to try an online purchase. I was looking for some heckle even some wild caught.

--dave

aloha_discus
05-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Aloha bodhidiver, you are welcome here whenever just call first or PM me. ;D

Aloha repete, I am sorry I could not get back to you sooner or call you. I usually am online late at night or early morning. I had to go into Omaha today to wait for some altum angels to arrive at the airport. They arrived 4 hours late. I am sad to say that they all were dead on arrival :'(.
I will be getting them from a lfs this time as they were cheaper and larger. Let me know again when you have spare time and I WILL try to be here for you and your son.

Mahalo to you both, Ike ;D

bodhidiver
05-03-2003, 05:45 PM
aloha,
I don't think i've ever actually seen any of the strains that you keep in person, i'm honored and thrilled for the invitation.

Your fish sound impressive. My brother tried unsucessfully for years to breed some heckles with some cobalt blues in an attemt to strenghen the genetics. I can remember how much he struggled to keep his fry alive. But he had 5 kids and a dog and i think his fish were being constantly stressed by all of the activity happening outside.

i'm sorry to hear about your loss. damn shame when something like that happen.
i've spoken to some of the guys at aqua-pets who say that typically about 50 percent of discus shipments won't survive two weeks. I don't know if this is normal or not.
It might take me a bit longer than 30 days to make sure my plant tank is stable. Parasites within plant shipments has been a problem for me in the past, I might try some sterilization techniques i've found at the krib...

kirkp
06-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey all, I just found this website and was lucky enough to see this post. I have thought about getting back into discus and placing an order. I had discus for quite awhile but then sold them, got into african, then tore everything down. The wife says she's sorry I ever got rid of the discus. I'm really interested in wilds and would love to come to fremont to see discus (or omaha or lincoln for that matter). Sounds like a good reason for a roadtrip. Oh yeah, guess I should say that I live in Council Bluffs.
Talk to you all later,
Kirk

SWOOSH
04-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Aloha Ike, do you still have Discus? Thanks Dennis.

jasonb
05-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Aloha Ike, do you still have Discus? Thanks Dennis.

I have not seen Ike around the forms for years. I bought several discus from him 10+ years ago. He had some beautiful fish. At the time he was living in Fremont.