PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus and need some help

Rafa_Sant
04-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi, first of all, I'm glad I found this board !!!

Now, I got a 29g tank from my parents, 'cause they moved and no longer can keep it. They tried to make a Planted Discus tank with no luck (the LFS's aren't that helpfull around here) and they weren't to concerned about whater changes and correct feedings.
I've been keeping a small reef tank for more than five years and it's doing quite good (planning to upgrade soon ;D ). I know all (I think) the basics of freshwater, but I'm new to live plants and discus. The current inhabitants are a Red Turquoise and a Algae Eater. Also substrate with gravel on top, and some plants. I think two of them are Amazon swords and the others, no idea.
The Discus it's super shy, always hidding or in a corner. When I feed him, he doesn't eat while I'm in front of the tank, I have to move away and he starts to pick at the gravel looking for food.
Is this a normal behavior for a discus? Should I get him a partner? Any recommendation?

Thanks

Rafa

PS: Sorry for all the BLA BLA, but I think it was necesary for a small background.

discus_nw
04-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Rafa,

Too many try to raise discus under less than ideal situations. They put the cart before the horse. They have some equipment and a tank and want discus. Many times what the person has is not what the discus needs. A 29 gal tank is not a suitable discus tank , other than a breeder or hospital tank. You can grow out some young ones in them, but it is not a good discus set up for a community tank. It's simply too small for what discus need.

What is that that they need? More discus. What do more discus need? More space. I wouldn't have anything less than a 50-55 gal tank with 5-6 discus in them.

If you want to try your set-up, I suggest you get a pair of German Tetra or Golden Rams, and maybe 6 rummynose tetras. This ought to give your lone discus a sense of security, because the above mentioned tankmates are very gregarious, making it more likely to come out of the corner.

Good luck ;) :)

ronrca
04-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Welcome to simplydiscus! Please, dont be shy and ask lots of questions! We are here to help make you a successful discus keeper! ;)

Discus are a shoaling fish! This means that they do need the company of others. While this may not be the case all the time, certainly the majority need 'friends' to help them feel comfortable. Therefore I would recommend getting at least 2 friends! Even better is to have 6 discus unfortunately your tank is not very big! Full grown discus require around 10G per discus! You mentioned upgrading soon! How soon? How big? In this case I would wait until your new tank is setup and ready!

Rafa_Sant
04-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Well, I know that a 29g is not suitable for Discus, but that's what they(parents) already got. I can't upgrade this tank now or in the near future (çause I'm upgrading my reef tank).
I want to make him comfortable considering such small room, at least try until I can get a bigger tank. If I can't have another discus, What other fish is suitable for him? Is there any other fish that like to interact with them?
I would really love to have a pair, since the discus bug is getting me and my wife

ronrca
04-22-2003, 01:44 PM
I know the feeling however you are lucky since your wife also has the 'bug'! (Would you mind having your wife talk to mine! LOL)

In your situation, I recommend 2 things! One, leaving the lone discus in the 29G by itself until being able to upgrade! Two, selling the discus (sorry) making room for other fish as previously mentioned and when upgrading, buy 6 discus with a bigger tank (I know that you will be much happier going this way)!

By adding another discus you can have a couple things happen.
- It works out fine and both discus are happy
- One of the discus is the domanint discus and bullies the discus making the situation even worst
- Both discus are shy and hide in the corners making you very unhappy
- Both discus get sick and die

I hth! Like I mentioned, I know the feeling of wanting to get more discus however if I can not provide the necessary requirements, I will be very unhappy when the discus get sick and die. Patience is the key word! It pays off in the end believe me!

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress! I love hearing about people keeping discus! ;) ;D

discus_nw
04-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Rafa-Sant,

Reread my last paragraph for suitable tankmates. An albino bristlenose pleco would be good, too, as would some Harlequin Rasboras.

Rafa_Sant
04-24-2003, 09:41 AM
I wonder whats the smallest tank for two adult discus ? My current stand can hold one up to 36" long.

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Two adult discus will fit in a 29 gallon. All Glass makes a 65 gallon thank that is 36 3/8 x 18 3/8 x 25. Perfect to grow out 6 babies.

Rafa_Sant
04-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Carol, if I add a second discus. Is there a way to prevent (or at least try) a bulying behavior. Should it be a small one?

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2003, 06:04 PM
IF you are going to try two fish in the 29 it should be a pair of adults, close in size. Put the female in first and then add the male. Putting a smaller juvenile in with the established discus is asking for trouble.

Rafa_Sant
04-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Now, being a newbie. The obvious question is: How do I know if is male or female?
I read a thread a few days back saying is almost imposible to know for shure.

Rafa

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2003, 06:32 PM
You probably won't be able to tell. The seller should know. I know which of my adult fish are male and female. Anybody breeding discus in Jamaica?

I'd go with the 65 gallon and raise up 6 of my own.

Rafa_Sant
04-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Carol, thanks for the help. I looked for that 65g, but no LFS carry them unless is a special order (and was a bit pricey $550).

Thanks again, I'll you know which way I go.

Rafa

reptar15
04-24-2003, 09:39 PM
550 bucks for a 65 gallon tank???????????

holy!
i think it's time for u to find another lfs.....

you could prob get one for 100-150

DarkDiscus
04-25-2003, 08:34 AM
I have some 3" tanks - 45 gallons - which are pretty good for discus. With lots of w/c you can raise 4-6 discus to adulthood in one. Plan on no less than 50% a day and twice a day would be better.

45 gallons fit on conventional 36 inch stands and are attractive displays.

John

Rafa_Sant
04-25-2003, 09:24 AM
550 bucks for a 65 gallon tank???????????

That's the price to pay for a special order. They use to carry it but with the whole package, stand, plastic top, light strip and so on.

Well, I think I'll be doing lots of water changes. I got to find a way to make this fast and simple. Wow!, I think this discus tanks take a lot of more time than a established reef tank. :o

Rafa