PDA

View Full Version : How Long After Quarantine

Mike_Selley
04-24-2003, 06:14 AM
I have a couple of discus in a 125 that are the remains of a group I had before I bought some discus at LFS and didn't quarantine them. If anyone's thinking about doing that, please don't!! Anyway that's in the past, but my question is should these 2 discus always be considered disease carriers or is 4-5 months without any symptoms and growing fine an indication that they are healthy enough to be mixed with other quarantined discus? Would I be better off putting these 2 in their own smaller tank and taking down the 125 completely and starting over with it? Would this be necessary since the 2 left are doing great and its been 4-5-6 months or so? :-\
THANKS!!

iceskater
04-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi Mike,
I can not help you. But I also have the same question. I have 2 LFS discus in a tank and they are doing well about 6 weeks. I am getting new quality discus over the weekend which will be in a separate tank for a long time but at some point I would like to mix them.

DarkDiscus
04-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Options:

Buy new fish - put them in another tank, then once THEY pass QT, add one or two to the big tank. If nothing bad happens after another QT period, add the rest.

Move the 2 fish to a tank of their own, bleach the 125 and add new fish to that tank.

There are other options, but these are the most appealing to me...

John

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I agree with John. When I get new fish they go in their own tank in the kitchen with their own water barrel and own hose. After 6 weeks if all is good I add one or two of my my regular fish (runts) - if the runts stay healthy for 4 weeks or so then I will mix the new and old fish.