PDA

View Full Version : Do Discus eat neon tetra's?

BumBumBee
04-24-2003, 09:41 PM
I want to put a few other fish with my dicus that are from the same general region. I've seen neon's with Discus in pictures but, it seems like they would eat them.

pissydiscus
04-24-2003, 09:44 PM
I want to put a few other fish with my dicus that are from the same general region. I've seen neon's with Discus in pictures but, it seems like they would eat them.

I had around 15 neons in my 40 gallon tank. I got 4 discus and put them in the tank and the tetra's were fine for about a month. Then they got eaten 1 by 1. *shrug* I'm over the tetra's now anyway. I just have a pl*co, 2 corey's and 4 nice sized discus, which are in need of a water change right now :) brb

dm
04-25-2003, 12:00 AM
It will somewhat depend on how big your Discus are in relation to the neons. If the neons will fit in their mouth they will probaly get eaten.

discus_nw
04-25-2003, 01:57 AM
Because of water parameter preferences, Neon Tetras are not the ideal tankmate. Larger Cardinal Tetras or Black Neon Tetras are a better bet. Rummynose Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras, as well as German Tetra Rams (blue or golden) are great tankmates as well.

angel12
04-25-2003, 11:24 AM
In my last discus tank I bougth a shoal of Empeor Tetras and they where stunning to look at about 15 I think well I put them in and hey the looked fantsastic :)

However I woke the next morning and well u guessed they where all gone not a tail or head or anything in site I couldnt belive it !

looked in the external filter just in case by the way these werent small by any means approx 1.5" each

But I know who the culprit was it was the Blue Turq that I had got he was about "6 in size and he had eaten the lot no wonder he wasnt hungry for a day or so .. Moral of the story as above if they will fit in the mouth then there Easy Lunch Im affraid

and Id agree Cardinals and (rummy nose) they also are a good indicator or your water quality bit like a canary in a mine are excellent choices along with maybe or instead try some hatchet fish they are great for sitting near the surface,

Good luck :)

ronrca
04-25-2003, 12:22 PM
I have found also however do not recommend that when young discus and cardinals/neons are introduced, they do live in peace as the discus grow larger.

seadog567
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
since my brother wait for his new house to finish.i have to take care of his discus for a while.i have my discus all around 4" long with a dozen of cardinal tetra for six months without any problem.once i put my brother's discus with my(they all about 3" ). they have ate half dozen of my tetra.i were so mad.you guys should know how pricy the cardinal tetra cost.even in day,i still can't figure out why only his discus will eat my tetra.

jamesmcsyd
04-27-2003, 05:25 AM
If discus are RAISED with neons, they will not get eaten, unless in confined spaces. However, if you have adults, then even cardinals will be at risk. Put juvenile discus with the tetras for best results.

James

Tony
04-27-2003, 08:03 PM
the neon would die slowly at discus kind of temp anyway. Don't feel bad.

I have better luck with serpae tetra. They grow up togather with discus. Their size is also a lot bigger than normal serpae. (beef heart diet)

The discus that the serpae are living with ~1.5yr old fish.

Rummy nose is a good choice. Cardinal is better than neon but the discus would/may still take them out. At least cardinal can take the temp.

ari_wh
04-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Hi,

If you want to put cardinals in the tank, make sure they are good size. I have 6 cardinals in my tank, which coexist very well with my discus, so I thought I would add some more and I bought 8 more, which were a lot smaller than my original cardinals.... What happened??? You guessed it, they all got hunted down one by one... whereas my original cardinals were fine.... Not sure what happened there.... lol. Expensive snacks indeed!!!! ::) ::)

Regards, Ari :)

robmcm
04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I used Neon Tetras as starter fish in my Discus show aquarium. Had a few die in the last year, but nothing unusual until recently when the school really thinned out. No "evidence" - just fewer fishies.

After seeing this thread I realized our latest addition, a 4.5" Spotted Red might be the culprit. The other discus are either smaller or were raised with Neons.

Watched the tank this morning after a feed & W/C and sure enough...big red was hunting. This time he missed, but no doubt there have been successes.

I'd planned on going to Cardinals, and sadly for the Neons it looks like this will be sooner...