PDA

View Full Version : My Discus went from shy to playful

BumBumBee
04-24-2003, 11:40 PM
I had 2 2.5" Discus in a 45G tank for 7 days, and they were shy. I put 2 more in today and now they are all taking turns chacing each other. I also bought some blackworms instead of dry food. They love those things.

dm
04-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Discus love company almost as much as they love Black Worms. I'm glad to hear your Discus are doing well.

DarkDiscus
04-25-2003, 08:26 AM
More discus = happy discus.

However it sounds like you bypassed the quarantine, which is a BAD idea. Every time you do it you risk losing all your fish. Like russian roulette, you can get by a few times, maybe, but in the end you lose.

John

BumBumBee
04-25-2003, 10:15 AM
quarantine?

angel12
04-25-2003, 11:27 AM
yes it is recommended that all new fish are quarantined for about 14 days before adding to your main tanks just in case they are carrying any nasties .. dont want them passed on to your other stock.

you never know one day you may find that your whole tank is nearly wiped out due to a new introduction of stock that may be carrying some parasite ...

HTH :)

BumBumBee
04-25-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm lucky my wife lets me have one Discus tank! The shop I got them from had them for 4 weeks before they sold them. They are also the only fish I have in this tank, and were togather at the store before I brought them home.

Carol_Roberts
04-25-2003, 05:17 PM
I quarantine all new fish for 6 weeks.

Let's say next month you decide to buy another discus from the same store. How many new fish from different sources have gone through that store in the last month? Were every single one of those fish healthy? (Nope and I can't even guess at all the different parasites, bacteria and viruses the different fish brought in with them.) How many fish died in that store last month? How careful are the employees dipping nets from tank to tank?

It is Russian roulette. Better safe than sorry.

afick1975
04-26-2003, 02:17 PM
I agree Carol.

Andre