PDA

View Full Version : How long do Discus live?

Tristanyyz
04-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Everything is relative...

As to life span, Discus are no exception...

But under very good conditions, WHAT IS THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF DISCUS?

Regards,
Tristan

KEVINT
04-26-2003, 11:40 PM
I think the life expectancy was about ten years maybe longer.
But lets leave it up to the experts.

afick1975
04-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Until they die. :D :D :D :D :D

afick1975
04-28-2003, 03:41 AM
About ten years. :D :D

andyl9063
12-30-2011, 04:34 PM
do they really live ten years????????

John_Nicholson
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I have had them hit 10 years. The oldest I ever heard of was 12 years. I once had an 8 year old female that spawned successfully.

-john

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
The oldest I have ever heard of was 14 yrs. Jack Wattley mentioned that in one of the talks I attended that he gave. I had one live for 9 yrs. before I traded him. He was still fertilizing eggs, but only 25-30% as I recall. This fish was a LFS marlboro red I picked up when they first became available in the States. It was 2.5" SL when I got him and never saw any medications while I had him.

Mat

moon_knight1971
12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking the average life span for the common discus keeper is probably more like 6 or 7 years.

Joey!

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
With exceptions of course, there should be no reason a properly cared for discus should not routinely reach 10+ years. I can easily see though, on the other hand, that the way people are keeping their discus today, (their water parameters, diet, w/c's, overcrowding, etc.) that the life expectancy has decreased.

Mat

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 10:04 PM
No one is talking "John Wayne's" here. No one said that no one knows anything here. There are some great discus people here. Others have left. Look at what's happening. It was mentioned in another thread about a week or so ago. Inexperienced hobbyists get a set-up in their heads w/o thinking of what a discus really needs, tells everybody their plan. Asks if it will work. Experienced discus keepers say no, noobs say yes, and the inexperienced guy does what he intended to do in the first place because somebody who has discus for 6 months tells him that it is working for them. Why ask? Read the disease section. Most are from stress related causes. Wrong water parameters. Not enough water changes. Flake food is just as good as mixes. 3" of rainbow gravel, Barbie dolls. Poor filtration. CBW's are just fine. They don't carry disease or toxins. It goes on and on. Try and help, and you have all the sharpshooters trying to pick you off. Most of those will not be here 2 years from now. Hell, somebody just attacked me in the food section for offering what I have learned over the years to someone else, not even him. So, what the hell. I just made 6 lbs. of salmon/shrimp mix. Maybe I should have posted step by step pictures for him. Gave him the model number to my electric meatgrinder. Showed the discus eating it.

What do you want? Larry Bugg just posted to a thread, and somebody else had to chime in. Larry is 100% correct in what he said.

Mat

jimg
12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
all I'll say is re read you posts in the last month or so. maybe you will get an idea.
everyone learning a new thing makes mistakes at least they thought enough to come here to ask. we were not all born with 50 years of experience.

ShinShin
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
What are you saying? Do you think I never killed a discus other than an intentional cull? I killed my share over the years. I didn't have the internet. Neither did a lot of other people here. Knowledge was gained by trial and error and reading books and articles in magazines when they were available. Basic concepts were learned. Other ideas were tossed out the window because they did not work.

Many people don't want to do the necessary work involved in keeping discus. A successful discus keeper cannot keep discus the way they would keep angelfish or a lot of other cichlids. When they understand this, they will either quit or be successful.

The best advice I ever heard given was by Jack Wattley at a talk n Long Island ~ 1994-95. He said to be successful at raising discus a person has to decide if they want to watch TV or keep discus. The general idea behind what he was talking about in that portion of the talk was that discus are work and they require your time to be successful.

If you don't like my ideas, jimg, that is perfectly okay with me. I do not mind. Or, when you see my handle on a post, you could just skip over it. That is okay by me as well. Why get all bent out of shape over it when other options exist?

Mat ;)

warblad79
01-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Calm down guys

ShinShin
01-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I didn't just come on here. I have been here since day 2 of the forum's existence. The date is wrong on the left. You are making comments about things I have never said about myself or others. You stuck your nose into something that did not concern you. If you cannot keep discus alive for more than 5 years, it is not my fault. You reread some of the things that are being posted about discus husbandry, and tell me that there are not people here who do not have basic fishkeeping concepts in place and are trying to raise discus. Tell me that there hasn't been great advice given by some of the best discus keepers here that is routinely ignored because someone chimes in saying its your tank do what you want I have had discus for 6 months and mine are thriving. Read the disease section and tell me how many of the sick fish there are not a result of people not knowing how to keep discus. Forget about how to treat them. I am talking about just keeping them. Read the breeding section. Who has a plan? It is Mutt City for the most part. This is not good for the hobby. People were told that 5-6 years ago. Can't hurt anybody's tender feelings these days so they are told how wonderful their cross breeds are. How great that arrowheadshaped MR x RGD x SS x albino Red Turquoise female looks with that humpheaded, crosseyed PB x Mercury x Calico x San Merah male. The fry from this interesting cross will be fabulous.

I am, always have been, and hope to always to be for improving the discus hobby with quality fish and techniques to achieve this. If you or anybody else here has a problem with that, understand this: 1) it is your problem and 2) I don care if you do.

Respectfully, and very sincerely,

Mat

PleiadesSTi
01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow a nice thread takes a complete dump cause some people get a huge ego when they log on. So tired of this. Thank God I'm not a moderator cause the ban hammer would be coming out.

Sean Buehrle
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow a nice thread takes a complete dump cause some people get a huge ego when they log on. So tired of this. Thank God I'm not a moderator cause the ban hammer would be coming out.

Well both of these guys have been here forever and both have good points.
Some people are very serious about discus keeping and it will come out at times. Your not talking about a couple guys that decided yesterday they were going to keep discus :)

This question has been asked at least every 4 months since this website came to exist.
If the original poster had used the search function, they would have found the same question asked a couple months ago and the one 6 months ago:)
Although those threads didn't have half the real info in them that this one does.
I like it when people have a little conflict, it gets people's attention and if a new person were to read what these guys are saying and ignore the anger they could probably learn a lot.

What you have to remember is that no matter what, people like these guys have nothing but the best intentions and their goal is to help others be successful, if it weren't they would have been gone long ago.

I doubt seriously ego has anything to do with it.

I once heard someone around here say that they believe that 75% of the discus sold in the united states don't make it a full year, I truly believe that statement. And that came from a very outstanding person in the world of discus.

These guys want that to stop and that's why they are here, so you would really ban them?

I would give em a t shirt :)

ShinShin
01-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Here you go, another opinion from someone who was not being spoken to. #17 lol

Does it ever end?

Whoops, now I'm a bad guy again.

Mat

Thanks, Sean. I wear an extra large.

Discus PB
01-03-2012, 01:16 AM
So I had a discus that made it 6 years and it was a year and half old when I got it? So does that make me a bad discus keeper?

ShinShin
01-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on why it died. ;)

Just like every man does not live to be 90, not even the expected age of 72, not all discus will live to an old age. Some men kill themselves early and some discus people kill their discus early. Sometimes, it may be just genetics.

Mat

Chicago Discus
01-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey guys its a new year lets just get along with each other and not argue about silly things shake hands and be nice ....................Josie
From a MOM and a Discus Keeper LOL

Sean Buehrle
01-03-2012, 01:41 AM
So I had a discus that made it 6 years and it was a year and half old when I got it? So does that make me a bad discus keeper?

I would say no.

There is a big difference between keeping a discus alive and keeping discus.

There are a few hurdles to clear I think before you can actually call yourself a seasoned discus keeper.

I don't think I am :)

I'm trying my best to grow a discus from fry to adult and actually have someone who knows what they are talking about say good job. Then there are more hurdles .

There are quite a few people around here that have done it all, over and over.

Put it this way, if you can keep one alive and healthy for 1 year you have accomplished something that 75 percent of people can't do because they don't have the info you do.

The problem is figuring out who to listen to and who not to.

Discus PB
01-03-2012, 01:46 AM
I had a few more before that. They only made it a couple years and some not 6 months. The one that made it six years out lived 5 other tank mates over time. Never changed anything I did he was fine and eating the night before and was dead next day.

ShinShin
01-03-2012, 02:58 AM
I have had that happen, too. 15-16 yrs. ago I had 10 discus that were about 4", growing them out in a 90 gal. I fed them one night and was looking at them. I had a turquoise that I bought from a Asian breeder in Seattle, admiring it. I thought that it was going to be the best of the bunch. Went to bed and next morning it was dead. Who knows why. Congenital problem? Hit the side of the tank hard?

Mat

Discus-Hans
01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Okay, this is going to be fun, I had a few drinks and am freaking tired, people are calling me from the moment I posted a post in my section with the new movie of the pairs/maybe pairs till 2am (my time) and this thread just caught my eye.

Okay pstttt newbees come a little closer to Uncle Hans so you can better hear me and don't tell uncle Matt and Uncle Jim I told you this, keep on trowing as much as possible PP on your Discus, if you think you Discus is not happy, don't do an extra water change, open the cabinet with medications and trow everything you can find on your Discus, what does it matter if you burn their gills with the PP (what original is to burn that nasty green stuff of pipes) etc etc but if you use it, be careful and protect yourself, I don't want something to happen with you if you use that nasty stuff. Why do I say this......... I think I'm the only one on this forum for who this whole Discus thing is my living, you all do it for a hobby or those who sell, as a business on the side. Take as much as possible advice from people who have 2 or 3 posts and have managed to keep their own Discus alive for a few weeks, don't listen to Mat (SinSin) and Jim, they are old farts any way. And Sean............ what does he know. Kill as many of your Discus and just buy new ones, it keeps my business alive and keeps my pipe smoking.

The question how long does Discus live.................not long, most are killed before they reach one year, disease................. no way........ over medication............ but keep on doing what you're doing, if every Discus I brought in the last 7 years still would be alive and breeding for my customers................. I wouldn't have a business and Discus would be sold for $1.00.

Ohhhhhhhhhh and before you explode and start saying nasty things.................... read my signature lol lol lol

Hans

PleiadesSTi
01-03-2012, 04:31 AM
/thread. Master has spoken.

brewmaster15
01-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Well, Alls I can say is I now know that I have been running this place too long. Its actually gotten to the point where I have developed a psychic connection to the forum LOL....either that or I have been noticing the natives are restless here lately and it was on mind when I hit the sack last night..so naturally I didn't have a sound nights sleep.:)

Either way...the result was the same...its 3:30 in the morning and I am staring at the keyboard, sipping on java and trying to figure a tactful way to tell people to tone it down....deja vue in life of this forum owner.:)

Folks listen up... Its inevitable that some people here are not going to like each other....everyone has their own way of posting and everyone comes across with their own tones on the forum....and sometimes people get riled up when someone else hits a raw nerve on a topic dear to them. However, whats not cool is when a discussion takes on personal tones and attacks.. Everyone here is entitled to their opinions on how to best keep their fish, and everyone here is entitled to express it in their own way..what people are not entitled to do is condemn others for their opinions or how they express them ..If someone is breaking rules in how they do this, that falls on my shoulders and the mods here to deal with....If someone is not breaking rules, its live and let live.....You can disagree with them and state that as as such....offer what you do and why if you want..and then walk away.

I hope that is clear to everyone, and I know anyone thats been here any amount of time already knows this.;)

Thanks kindly from a sleepy Admin.

-al

oh ps..on the actual question... How long do discus Live? Thats going to depend on many factors, some a hobbyist can help, others they can't...But I don't really care if its 3 years, 5 years or 10.. I've had some discus in th 8 year range that were really some UGLY fish.. Old doesn't mean they actually look as nice as a discus in its prime...at least thats my take... for me Discus look best in their 3-4 year range...there are always some exceptions...but thats what I have noted personally.

andyl9063
01-03-2012, 10:05 AM
jeez... i didnt know the answer thought i search and found this thread, but there wasnt really an answer, more like guessing.

My 12 juvies just reach 1 year so i thought i look into it.

thanks for the insightful comments (LOL)

Skip
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
discus live from when this thread was started to today :)

Corona
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
:argue: ...carefully, move away from the discus... :)

ShinShin
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Andy,

There were some factual lengths of time given. No guessing. Jack Wattlley said the longest he KNEW of WAS 14 yrs. No guessing. John had one 10 yrs. No guessing. I had one 9 yrs when I traded him. No guessing. In posts past, there were discus people who also said they had discus reach 10-12 yrs. So, we KNOW that a discus can live to be at least 14, and many over 10. Those are facts, not guesses.

Mat

andyl9063
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Andy,

There were some factual lengths of time given. No guessing. Jack Wattlley said the longest he KNEW of WAS 14 yrs. No guessing. John had one 10 yrs. No guessing. I had one 9 yrs when I traded him. No guessing. In posts past, there were discus people who also said they had discus reach 10-12 yrs. So, we KNOW that a discus can live to be at least 14, and many over 10. Those are facts, not guesses.

Mat

yes i understand that. Appreciate the comment, when the thread was started, no one really responded besides afick1975. So it sound like he wasn't sure. I thought I just reply to see if i get any answers.
but it sounds like they'll live a long time then. I guess there's no definite answer since there's so many factors in discus health. But i suppose it'll live long if been given great care.

Skip
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
andy. only thing certain.. is we all die and so do discus.. :)

so far.. my oldest fish are at 1.5 yrs :)

andyl9063
01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
andy. only thing certain.. is we all die and so do discus.. :)

so far.. my oldest fish are at 1.5 yrs :)

true true. mine is only 1 years old. just making sure they do live longer than the typical neon tetras when given proper care....... hahahhah

Skip
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
true true. mine is only 1 years old. just making sure they do live longer than the typical neon tetras when given proper care....... hahahhah

i think you can count on that part.. :)

if not.. then do daily water changes! LOL

Chad Adams
01-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Okay, this is going to be fun, I had a few drinks and am freaking tired, people are calling me from the moment I posted a post in my section with the new movie of the pairs/maybe pairs till 2am (my time) and this thread just caught my eye.

Okay pstttt newbees come a little closer to Uncle Hans so you can better hear me and don't tell uncle Matt and Uncle Jim I told you this, keep on trowing as much as possible PP on your Discus, if you think you Discus is not happy, don't do an extra water change, open the cabinet with medications and trow everything you can find on your Discus, what does it matter if you burn their gills with the PP (what original is to burn that nasty green stuff of pipes) etc etc but if you use it, be careful and protect yourself, I don't want something to happen with you if you use that nasty stuff. Why do I say this......... I think I'm the only one on this forum for who this whole Discus thing is my living, you all do it for a hobby or those who sell, as a business on the side. Take as much as possible advice from people who have 2 or 3 posts and have managed to keep their own Discus alive for a few weeks, don't listen to Mat (SinSin) and Jim, they are old farts any way. And Sean............ what does he know. Kill as many of your Discus and just buy new ones, it keeps my business alive and keeps my pipe smoking.

The question how long does Discus live.................not long, most are killed before they reach one year, disease................. no way........ over medication............ but keep on doing what you're doing, if every Discus I brought in the last 7 years still would be alive and breeding for my customers................. I wouldn't have a business and Discus would be sold for $1.00.

Ohhhhhhhhhh and before you explode and start saying nasty things.................... read my signature lol lol lol

Hans

OMG, This was so freakin' hilarious!!!! The sad thing is I could picture this!

Darrell Ward
01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Just think, since this thread started, hundreds of discus have died! LOL! I gotta agree with Hans too, some people keep throwing meds and chemicals at fish as a "preventive", and all they are doing is cutting the fish's lifespan shorter. I just laughed when I read posts recently that one or more people here regularly dose their fish PP, that's a powerful oxidizer people! Geez! By the way, I usually sell, trade, or give away discus after 5 or 6 years in order to make room for new ones, so I know for a fact they live at least that long with reasonable care.

ShinShin
01-04-2012, 12:58 AM
No gill burns there, is there Darrell. lol

Mat

Chicago Discus
01-04-2012, 01:11 AM
I think they live 1 year 2 months 18 days and 12 hours just my opinion .........................Josie

Discus-Hans
01-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Just think, since this thread started, hundreds of discus have died! LOL! I gotta agree with Hans too, some people keep throwing meds and chemicals at fish as a "preventive", and all they are doing is cutting the fish's lifespan shorter. I just laughed when I read posts recently that one or more people here regularly dose their fish PP, that's a powerful oxidizer people! Geez! By the way, I usually sell, trade, or give away discus after 5 or 6 years in order to make room for new ones, so I know for a fact they live at least that long with reasonable care.

Okay Darrell you are now official an "old fart" too, now go back to your corner and let those kids PP their Discus, come on don't ruin my business now.

Preventive is good, if I know I'm going to get drunk on Saturday night, I start taking Ibuprofen on Friday for the head ache I get on Sunday morning, works for me lol lpol lol

Hans

Corona
01-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Discus-Hans, thanks for the humor injection...

ShinShin
01-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Oh, he is dead serious. lol

Mat

Discus-Hans
01-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh, he is dead serious. lol

Mat

ALWAYS>>>>>>>>>> lol

clairel
01-05-2012, 02:24 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about 'discus age' not a s'word' fight. If I may politely remind you, they are fish! A few minutes here and there or an hour or so once in a while, watching them, is all I get. I treasure those times and when they die, I will replace them - in a month, a year, 10 years - who cares? Just my two cents. Hans, keep the doors open....I'm a comin'.

ShinShin
01-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Well, Clairel, I am guess you have unlimited funds for buying discus if you care not if they live more than a month or year. When I buy 6 "fish" and have them shipped to me for a total of $1500.00, I want them around for awhile. But that's just me, a working man.

Mat

April
01-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Well. ...some people may think the old farts are crass. And judgemental...but. They have alot of experience and successful. I've met mat and known him a long time. He knows his stuff and is successful. And Hans. ...yeah..mr. Funny man. He tells it like it is.but.. His fish don't die in his care. I'm sure he's heard alot of stories.
Ihave an old man. He was huge. Giant snakeskin.he was healthy as a horse. Big..thick...he did get sick once due to some import fish. Took a bit of wind out of his sails.
Then down the road he got Hith, pustules and bulged eye. Cured him...he eats like a pig...but he doesn't gain now. Old discus look like old men. Colours change,,not as vibrant looking.
He used to be a blue snakeskin. Now he looks more yellow and reddish brownish.
People still point at him like a nice discus but they don't "see" the difference between healthy plump fish and thin old men.
As far as the pp goes...yes it's being used alot to clean fish before shipping..after shipping..
I had quite a few with Hith even before I received them. I was told some farms are over using pp.
Basic good care comes down to good parameters, clean water and dedicate your time.
The best discus keepers I know are very scheduled committed people. Wc routine, feeding routine, consistency.
I've lost alot In my days also and I know it's because I either slacked, wasn't paying enough attention..etc.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.235327,-123.185123

Corona
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I thought this thread was about age of discus (young/old), not aged old farts. J/K ;)

CajunAg
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Might be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone had long-lived wild fish?

jimg
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Might be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone had long-lived wild fish?

The wild brown in my avatar I bought in a lfs. it was in a 20 gal with 3 others, filthy water. I had to of had that one for about 7 years.

jeoper
04-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Stendker Discus can live up to 15 years with good care

gunnerschh2
04-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Boy AL was right in #28 post. I have 2 that are 9to 10 yrs. and they sure are not as pretty as when I got them. Maybe there like us I just looked in the mirror & wow I'm not as pretty I was. HARRY

sanjay21
04-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Boy AL was right in #28 post. I have 2 that are 9to 10 yrs. and they sure are not as pretty as when I got them. Maybe there like us I just looked in the mirror & wow I'm not as pretty I was. HARRY

Can you share pictures of those fish Harry ? I never seen such old Discus before. Would love to know how they look that old.

gunnerschh2
04-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Sorry Sanjay dont know how to post. Harry

warblad79
04-24-2018, 07:30 PM
It depends who's the owner.

Filip
04-25-2018, 05:36 AM
It depends who's the owner.

Its always the same one Brian . Some call him God and some call him Nature :)

JamesW
05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Now are the fish that were alive when this thread first started still around today!?!

When I was maybe 13 I got my first discus, he lived until I was 20, I couldn't sell him or even give him to a LFS, no one wanted a 7 year old discus... He looked like he had a few more years in him.

brewmaster15
05-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Now are the fish that were alive when this thread first started still around today!?!

When I was maybe 13 I got my first discus, he lived until I was 20, I couldn't sell him or even give him to a LFS, no one wanted a 7 year old discus... He looked like he had a few more years in him.

That'd place them at 15 plus years... so I do doubt it.:) However, we could make this fun.... How about anyone that has a Discus that over 5 years old post a pic of it and tell how old it is. I would participate but I took a break a few years ago and none of my current crew of fish are more than a few years old that I can confirm.

al

CliffsDiscus
05-15-2018, 01:09 PM
I had a pair of 10 years old spawn with
fry pictures on DAAH website a few years back.These were my own breeding stock not bought.

Cliff

Pices
05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
I’d love to see pics of old fart discus! Hopefully I’ll be able to post mine in a few yrs!

AquaWoman
05-25-2018, 01:13 AM
My first attempt at keeping Discus and I'm on year Three nearing Four I keep a video journal on YouTube so I'll have proof positive when mine get to be of a ripe old age. ;) I try.....hard.
I'm shooting for the record 15+.
Ive gotten the very best tips from this Forum so Thanks.
You can find my Tank by searching AquaWoman Discus on YouTube if you care to see my Fish that is. ;)