PDA

View Full Version : Any Drawbacks to Plastic Plants & Lead Weights?

Bruce
04-27-2003, 06:05 AM
I understand the problem gravel poses in trapping decomposing debri and the near impossibility of always keeping it clean, even with daily gravel suction.

And the pain of maintaining live plants w/out a substrate, subdued lighting, balancing CO2 levels, etc.

But . . .

Would there be any reason to not have a discus aquarium full of plastic plants? I typically remove the base and wrap a very small weight around the bottom, just barely enough to keep the plant from floating up. I see plastic plants in the discus show tanks of many LFS, but not as yet on any Simply member pictures I've come across.

Also, are lead weights (aquarium type) actually okay for the fish? Do I need to worry about lead poisoning? I guess I could tie a small rock to the plants instead, it it was an issue.

Thanks.

Ardan
04-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Hi,
I have used Plastic plants with a weight. I seal the weight in silicone to prevent any leeching of the lead into the water.
When I use the plastic plants I remove them once a wk and clean them in the sink ( like wiping down the inside of the tank to keep it clean)

hth

Barry
04-27-2003, 10:09 AM
I use plastic plants and secure them to the bottom of the tank with a suction cup. You just have to find the one's with the hole in the top to attach the plant into.

Carol_Roberts
04-27-2003, 01:16 PM
I have used plastic and silk plants in the past. You do have to rinse them every week and wipe off the brown diatoms from the leaves. As I got more and more tanks I had less and less time time to clean plants. Now all my discus tanks are bare.

Wolf
04-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Ive got some plants with a built in rock base that holds them down. Look around you might be able to find some in the area.

Chris-C
04-28-2003, 08:47 PM
The silk plants from penn plax( i think) come with a base to keep the plant from floatiing. I to started with plants and now have removed them because i got to lazy to clean them regularly. Do miss the green in there sometimes.

Chris C