PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Tank

chode
04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
I am toying with the Idea of doing a planted discus tank in a 125 with 6 32 watt 6500k Normal Output bulbs. This tank will have compressed CO2 with a "Gravel Vac" Reactor, and a Eheim 2028. I hear discus are difficult to raise, what type of special considerations to the fish should I expect? Do these considerations limit my selection of plants? Any other pitfalls I should consider before I jump in.

Tyler
04-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Sounds cool.....but yes, there are things to consider:

Discus need temps of 84-88 degrees......this could limit your plant and tankmate selection.

Discus need lots of water changes. Daily for small fish, but i would think if you went with adults you could get away with 3x weekly.

Small discus do not grow out will without constant feeding and tons of water changes....i don't reccomend a planted tank for growing them out. For your situation buying adults would work out best, although the price could be tough.

Tyler

Carol_Roberts
04-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Good advice Tyler.

remikz
05-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Chode:

If you decide to go with discus, please take note of what tyler is saying. I came here not long ago and got the same advice...

Did I take it?

No.

The result?

The plants were making the water far to dirty (dead/fallen leaves etc) I was doing massive water changes, but I had smaller juvenile fish 2-3" and 3-4"

One of them got a serious bacterial infection...

I decided to rip the plants out and completely clean the tank/filters etc of the waste debris..

I then treated the tank and all my fish are fine.. the poor little discus is now getting better but i'm water changing 50% a day.

It sounds like you're expirienced with plants so you'll probably do better than me.. But beware smaller discus grow best in minimum conditions with plenty of w/c and feeding. Definately go for adults.

JME of course..

-Ian