PDA

View Full Version : Ok long term plan for discus tank

Lun4r
04-30-2003, 05:52 PM
This is my first post here and I want to congratulate you all for having a great community and so many knowledgeable people here. I have a moderate amount of fishkeeping experience and would consider myself fairly knowledgeable, but am not an expert by any mreans and still have a lot to learn. I have recently been fascinated by the prospect of a beautiful discus tank and after my 10 and 20 gallon tanks, I have a great ambition to start one. My plans for the tank are as follows.

EQUIPMENT
Tank - 55 gallon AGA
Lighting - AHsupply 2x55w 6700k Compact Fluorescent Tubes
Filtration - Eheim 2215 Plus Kit Canister Filter
Heating - Ebo-Jager 250w
Substrate - Layered as follows: Laterite 1 inch, sand 1/2 inch, peat 1 inch, sand 1 1/2 inch
CO2 - custom DIY Yeast method with custom DIY reactor

INHABITANTS
4 Discus (raised from young)
12 Cardinal Tetras (raised with the discus)
6 Otos

Due to the high pH and hardness of my water I would use Peat moss in the filter as well as driftwood in the tank. It would be heavily planted with low-medium light plants. If you reccomend it I could use Seachem's Discus Buffer but personally I mistrust chemical pH adjusters. I can't afford all this just yet but I am saving and I want to be ready when the time comes. Any good articles about discus keeping or names of books I might be able to pick up at the local library would be very helpful. Thank you!

Carol_Roberts
04-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Tyler recently answered a similiar question . . .
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9253
And a good answer from John
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9234

Lun4r
04-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Thank you for the link it is helpful, seeing as they have a very similar setup planned. If there is anything specific to my tank that you can comment on, I would appreciate it. I am confident that I can keep some of the more hardy, high temperature tolerant plants and had considered that. The once a day waterchanges suit me just fine, I am very good with keeping regular with changes and will do whatever it takes to give my fish the best environment possible. Any other complications I may run into? Thanks again!

Lun4r
05-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Lol is that all I get? One reply? Well ok whatever... I found some nice articles on tropica.com about Discus tanks with plants so I will be going that route. They have seemed to have a good amount of success.

heavyp83
05-02-2003, 01:28 PM
You might have better luck posting this question in the show tanks section of this web site. A lot of people that check this board keep barebotom tanks.

Carol_Roberts
05-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Yes, I keep all my discus in bare bottom tanks. Discus are easier to grow out and maintain in bare tanks. Generally it is the more experience hobbiest who is successful at keeping discus in planted tanks . . . . and they hang out in the show tank section
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7

gemamanda
05-05-2003, 11:03 AM
I saw that you mentioned compact fluorescent lights, but then you;re only going to plant low-medium light plants?? Seems like a waste of money to get the compacts if you aren't going to get the plants that like the high light.

Lun4r
05-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Well I'm going to get compact's but only two 55w fixtures so there won't be more than 2w/g and thus I won't be able to grow anything that isn't low or medium low light requirement.