PDA

View Full Version : Alum to clean plants

Steve_Warner
05-01-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone uses this or has used this to dip plants in before tank entry? I saw a tub of Alum powder(5 Lbs?) at the pool supply store the other day to flocculate particles in a pool. I have heard of people using this to clean plants before. The tub would last forever to make treatment stews. Thoughts?

Steve

05-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Alum wil kill most snail eggs and some algae . use 1 tablespoon to 5 gals. of water. Soak for 15 to 30 min. depending on how delicate the plant is. Then rinse in clean water. I have been told it will kill some parisites too ? hope this helps.

Luca
06-15-2003, 02:36 AM
How do you know how delicate the plant is?
-long leaves vs short leaves or is it just particular type of plants?

Luca.

06-15-2003, 03:12 PM
I would go by how soft the leaves are. anubias . sword and most crypts.are hardy . stem plants are mostly soft leave plants. So I would dip for less time . And there may be exception to the rule . So you may have to experiment . Start with 10 mins. And work your way up to 30 mins . If the plant will take it. Just remember if the plant is in poor condion to start with. Dipping in alum will not help this problem. hope this anwser your Q.