PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty of my new aquascape

ChloroPhil
05-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Here it is folks, the result of a day's work. I'm sorry for the quality of the picture, I didn't have a chance to get a really good one.

The design is intended to recreate the temerate rainforests of the Pacific Northwest that I spent a lot of time in as a child in the style of Amano. The main players are Anubias coffeefolia, Crypt. balansae, Crypt. wendtii "red", E. tenellus, and Java moss. It's kind of hard to tell though as I've crammed the tank full of Rotala rotundifolia while the tank gets established.

Filtration will be done by a custom made sump which I'll have pictures of tonight or tomorrow.

O
05-02-2003, 11:06 AM
looks good! How do you keep the substrate clean in this set up?

Thanks.
O.

ChloroPhil
05-02-2003, 02:41 PM
I just set it up..:)

As far as keeping the substrate clean.......I don't. That's my whole secret. :o Every week I may do a superficial surface vaccuum, but that's just to keep the visible surface pleasing to look at. All the rest of the mulm that hits the substrate in the non-viewing areas builds up and is food for my plants.

O
05-02-2003, 03:44 PM
hhhmmmm....how often do you do WCs to keep your discus happy?

O.

Ralph
05-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Nice looking tank Phil. That Java moss is going to look great when it fills out.

What kind of fish is going in it?

ChloroPhil
05-02-2003, 11:06 PM
I recently got a lead on some true Altum angels so I'm debating at the moment. I was planning on putting a sextet of Tefe RSG and some apistos, but I may have to forgo the discus if I can get the altums. Nothing but algae eaters are going in there for at least the next two weeks so I've got time to make up my mind. :)

I'm most likely going to wait until the aquascape has matured a little to make any sort of decision. I'd hate to get a group of fish now and have them not be just right in the long run. I'm now in a permanent place and this my take on the tank is going to reflect that in ways I wasn't able to before.

Speaking of permanence, I'll have pics of my filter system taken on Sunday; the glass for the sump wasn't cut right.....another day. :( Thank God for powerheads and Seachem suppliments. :)

I do a 50% WC once a week to keep my plants happy. Keeping my plants happy keeps my fish happy.