PDA

View Full Version : "Handling/Training" your Discus?!

GWdiscus
05-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Over the last few months I've had a few people respond to my skittish fish with how they hand feed or even handle their discus.

I had one response yesterday on "Will they ever settle down" from Tristan (Tristanyyz) telling us about how he has his little soldiers line up for inspection and free hands them to have a closer look, its a great story. Here's the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=8800;st art=15

I think it would be great if people could share with us, new to the discus life style, some stories on how and why they work with their discus.

I am particularly interested in handling which seems a great way to get a closer inspection and also to move to another tank when the time comes.
Michael

Shari
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi! Like many of the others my 13 Discus also line up in a row across the top front of the tank to be hand fed. And funny - they have chosen 1/2 on one side, 1/2 on the other and won't go across even though the first side fed is having field day..but patiently wait for me to come over to their side - and they started that thing! And my two wilds in another tank, one is now coming forward but a little skittish of hand feeding yet - but he comes really close so one of these days he will. The wilds are now next to me in my office all day so they are more and more relaxed.

I think the whole thing is alot of time at the tank. The domestics are in family room, near tv, high traffic area as there was no where else to fit the tank, but it all paid off - even two Labs bouncing around doesn't bother them a bit.
We tip-toed around for first couple weeks so they wouldn't crash into sides of tank, but as we got more normal, so did they. I hand feed all, and can pet them as well as a few will let me brush off anything in the water that has somehow gotten stuck to them....total lifting out of water, no we haven't gotten that far - I fear one sudden jump/flip could land on floor, so still use net if they must be moved. They really are people fish though huh! Also I too wear short sleeves when working with them, I find out also that long sleeves often scare them...

GWdiscus
05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Hey Shari,
That amazing how they line on their own sides! That’s the kind of stuff that makes discus such a great animal. :sun:
I just wondering how old are your discus?

I got mine when they where quarter size and have had them just over 3 months, they're between 3 and 4 inches now. They come up to the front occasionally but don't come to the surface yet. I plan on getting some CBW when I get back from vacation and hope to entice them then.

Tristanyyz
05-05-2003, 11:33 PM
I wondered if part of the reason my guys line up is because I have fast moving water across the top of the tank.

What kind of filter do you use shari...how did they get to divide up like that? Mine are little piglets, they all push and shove eachother in and out of position...
::)

ReeferKimberly
05-06-2003, 01:07 AM
when i'm doing water changes i "pet" my larger discus. the adults even will tail-slap me to intimidate rather then swimming away. i have two that are completely fine with me lifting them out of the water in my palm and just lay there till i lower them back in.
kimberly :-*

Shari
05-06-2003, 01:30 AM
Ok let's see, I've had 7 of the 13 domestics about a year and six months. The rest bought since then and range in size from half dollar to close to 6". I've only got a couple of the smaller ones so the rest are a good 3"-6". And as far as their decision to line up on a 1/2 and 1/2 thing - got me because it's always different who's where - but they are regal - only a couple of them sometimes push and shove to get to the food - they seem to know I'll get to them so no one goes hungry. Pretty funny huh!

Oh yes, the petting thing - I've had them actually fight with each other over who's to be 'with the hand' funny!!!!
Oh, I was using Penguins in a 55 gallon, which you can adjust water flow for feeding too. Now they are in a 120 with an Ehiem wet/dry so it does have the spraybar at the top which keeps waters moving to some degree. Not sure why moving water would matter....I see different personalities in each fish. Some are sensitive, others bossy, some shy and others came to me almost right away like really friendly and happy to be 'home' !!! haha!

I also notice that my PB's and Turqs have almost always been the most friendly right away, the others took longer.
Maybe it's partly genetics huh? What kinds do you all have?