PDA

View Full Version : test kits

bloom
05-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Trying to decide which manufacturer's tests to buy. Have seen Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Hagen, Tetra and Red Sea test kits in lfs. Looking for advice on which (company's) tests to buy.

Thannks for the help.

Steve :)

ChloroPhil
05-05-2003, 10:02 AM
AP's Quick Dip strip tests work well and they're easy to use. I'd stick with them, unless you need a very sensitive test for something specific.

dm
05-06-2003, 08:10 AM
I use AP's also and have had good lluck with them.

Mike_Selley
05-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I use AP's master test kit and love it. It has been greatly improved in the last few years as far as being easy to read. The only thing I don't like about it is those goofy little test tubes that come with it, so I use a square Wardley or Tetra tube instead. It also seems to be extremely economical as it seems to outlast all the other kits I've tried even though I find myself testing water more and more. :)

angel12
05-07-2003, 09:44 PM
well the only thing I have against API is there Nitrate test kit it is not very clear at reading low levels of NO3 the colour diff between anything over 1ppm to 10 is all a matter of opinion ... I use Salifert (dont know if this is available in the USA) but there is a high and low test in wich another reagant is added to the Test and give you clear indication right down to 1/10s of a ppm

other than that yes API are very good (I also have a master test kit from (API)

:)

bloom
05-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the help everybody and the info re: the Nitrate test Angel. Anyone know a good place to get the AP Quick Dip strip tests on-line? Haven't seen them at any of the lfs.

Thanks again.

Steve :)

Fish Freak
05-13-2003, 09:16 AM
If not there is a leguana test strip set it is quite neat it tests all (nitrate,nitrite,amonia,ph,kh,gh) at the same time. I saw it in my lfs it was a fairly reasonable price.

Josh

Paulio
05-15-2003, 11:43 PM
AP are good as are Tetra. Red Sea arent very accurate IME. If you are going to be injecting co2 I would think about a meter. You will be testing your pH pretty often to monitor co2 levels and a pocket tester like the ones RandalB here on the board sells will save you $$$ in the long run.

HTH
Paul

bloom
05-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Which company's tests do you recommend for testing phosphate, Ca and Fe. Thanks for the help.

Steve :vanish: