PDA

View Full Version : My discus has turned dark

kwan
05-06-2003, 02:07 PM
I have recently bought 3 Red Marble discus. After a week, their tails and fins have turned black. I immediately changed water a couple of times and noticed the dark fins are gradually recovering to their original colour, but is still very dark in some places, especially the tail. Please see photo.

Can someone tell me what is the problem here? I have checked my water and my ph, kh, gh, seems fine. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, natrate is low.

Carol_Roberts
05-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Many pigeonbloods have dark fins and tail. The body turns dark when the discus is under stress. Here is a picture

kwan
05-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Okay, I guess my next question is what is the causing factor? They seems to be happy enough the first couple of days, if the water parameters have not changed then what other factors might have an influence?

Carol_Roberts
05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Discus also turn pale when stressed. My guess is yours lost their color for a couple of days and are settling in now with color returning to normal.

kwan
05-06-2003, 04:59 PM
You're right Carol. They were pale when I brought them home and gradually turned to a fuller colour, which is what I saw at the shop and then to this darker colour. Perhaps I should leave them alone for a while and see how they get on. Many thanks!

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-16-2003, 02:58 PM
;D Kwan , You might wanna turn of the light for a couple of days that'll make them calmer. Is there any major currents in your tank from filtration? If so stop that Discus hate a major current.

More than likely there just getting used to a new environment. W/C -w/c w/c keep water parameters as close as the water already in the tank as possible. Same temp ,ph , so on......

;D Rock n Roll
Franko

BlueBull
05-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi

I dunno much, but I always add Ocean Free Super Bacteria 8000 to calm my new fishes down. It has worked so far.