PDA

View Full Version : Discus and I are developing habits

Very Fishy
05-06-2003, 05:24 PM
I was excited to see what happened last night with my 4 tangerine PB. I have had them for 8 weeks now. They were extremely nervous for the first few weeks and would freak out if I approached the tank. They are getting better as each week passes. I started a routine of feeding them bloodworms each night just before I go to bed. Last night I entered the room to feed them at bedtime and for the first time they were waiting at the top of the tank for me looking for their food. :D

dm
05-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you made some new friends. ;D

Carol_Roberts
05-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Bright eyed and waging their tails too, I bet ;D

GWdiscus
05-06-2003, 09:52 PM
It feels like you've made a break-through, doesn't it? I know, my discus too have been on a long road to feeling comfortable enough to come out and accept you and when they do it means the world to you (8 weeks is a long time when you're working so hard with them). Its worth every minute you put into them.

This may sound strange to some of you, but they're like children. You care and worry, and in the end the grow up to be just fine.

I'm in the middle of a life waiting period. My kids are grown up, or just about so anyway (both in college with one married). Both my wife and I are enjoying our time together, but at the same time we can't (and can) wait for grandkids.

Disucs give me that avenue to care for another living thing that appricates your efforts. (of course not as much as grandkids would.)

Sorry to babble on.
GMW

jeep
05-07-2003, 10:39 AM
I think it goes to show that everyone is correct about the prefered minimun number of discus. I got 9 in March and they were eagerly greeting me everytime I approached the tank from the first day. I got 4 more a few weeks ago (still in QT) and they act absolutely terrified of me and have yet to come to me for food.

I hope they get over it like yours did...

Shari
05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Boy do I hear what you are all saying - I found a trick that worked for mine anyway - they would act shy when you walk in the room or up to the tank.....so sit down and just enjoy them - pretty soon they were all looking down at me on the floor smiling at them, playing 'slowly' with my finger on the glass to draw them to me...and shyness left. A few days later same greeting at top of water and alls been well since. And yeh, the new ones will break in too...haha - thats the challenge we love don't you think!!

Very Fishy
05-09-2003, 08:23 AM
The progress of my discus continue to amaze me. Since they come and greet me in the evening, last night I decided to try hand feeding them some turket heart and sure enough they ate it right from my fingers! ;D

Fisheyes
05-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Well thats great .Try this tonight just put your hand in the water and try to pet them with one finger .Once they realize your not going to hurt them try grasping one gently in the palm of your hand .
It amazes me they have that much trust in there owners.
Life is good
Fisheyes :crazy:

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Sounds like they are settleing in. I am hoping to get some discus soon and i hope myn will turn out the same

Alex

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Man they are so tame as soon as I walk into my room they are begging for food even after beeing fed. Best of luck. What size are the fish you got?

Josh

Tristanyyz
05-12-2003, 12:20 AM
I recently picked up some wilds, 2 adults, 2 almost adult, and 4 4.5 inchers, and added them to 6 domestics and 2 other wilds, this was all on Friday evening...and today, even the wilds are eating from my hand...and my girlfriend informed me that she scooped one of the domestics out by hand earlier today and she raised it above water and it just lay there...she put it back in, and it came back to her for more. When she tried to do it again, our little checkerboard splashed her good!

Don_Lee
05-12-2003, 01:57 PM
That is one of my favorite things about discus, they are so "tame." I can pet mine, still not able to have them feed out of my hand but I am getting there.

Don

Tristanyyz
05-12-2003, 04:59 PM
I worked with the domestics first, got them to eat out of my hand. Then once I added 6 big 5-6 inch wilds...they push in there to get at the food, once they saw all the little guys helping themselves to all the worms. You have to hang on to that piece of frozen worms in your fingers, as the big wilds hit hard...