PDA

View Full Version : Live bloodworms

DavidWong
05-07-2003, 11:03 PM
I am thinking of feeding my beloved discuses with the above but want to know how to rid of the live worms with parasites B4 giving it to them......

Carol_Roberts
05-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Bloodworms aren't really worms at all, but are mosquito larva. Here in the USA we buy them frozen and supposedly free of parasites.

Are you collecting your own bloodworms? Don't confuse them with tubifex worms which grow in unsanitary conditions.

DavidWong
05-07-2003, 11:16 PM
i guess i meant Tubifex

lkleung007
05-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Hi David,

The conventional thinking is that one should not feed live tubifex worms due to the risk of disease (ie: bacteria or parasites). Many on the board use CBW's without problems but you still run a risk of disease.

HTH, Lester

Dogs
05-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi All

I've been feeding my discus on frozen bloodworms for the past 2 months. The discus have grown so fast its almost scary.....about 4-5cm (sorry don't know what that is in inches).

Could someone tell me are CBW = Californian Black Worms or am I totally off?

Jeff
05-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Dogs you are correct. CBW= California Black Worms

BlueTurquoise
05-20-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with Lester. It all depends on where the worms are from and how they are cultured. Generally tubifex worms (in the past) were cultured on a farm in manure or sewerage. This is why they are considered extremely high risk!

CBW seem to be the best/easiest if you live in USA. Home cultured earthworms are the best, or very high up the list in low risk live foods.

Chong

discus_nw
05-20-2003, 11:20 PM
It is not true that all tubifex grow in polluted water. They can be found in water cleaner than some waters cbw's inhabit.

Some lfs sell live blackworms as tubifex and also bloodworms. I have only ever seen live bloodworms (midge larvae) sold at one lfs. That Fish Place in Pennsylvania used to sell Kordan live foods, of which bloodworms and tubifex were available.