PDA

View Full Version : I'm Hooked!!!!!

edgeguy
05-09-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm hooked :bounce2:on discus :bounce:and it has only been 2 hours since mine have arrived. I recieved 3 Golden Sunrise, 3 Cobalt Blue, and 2 Ocean Green. They are in a 92 gal tank and are swiming around and checking out their new home.

Thanks to all who answered my questions up to this point in time. I am sure the questions will come more often now that I finally have my discus.

Wolf
05-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Congrats! :drummer: I felt the same way. Sounds like you will have a nice group of fish to fill out that 92g tank. Good luck.

Fisheyes
05-09-2003, 04:38 PM
If your hooked already then I guess we will see you at the fish store more often.

Best of luck with your new fish.

Fisheyes :crazy:

Mike_Selley
05-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Nothin much funner than getttin new discus. I like your selection too! :)

Fish Freak
05-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey im also a discus aholic thanks to the people at simply I just got my new discus last saturday. Best of luck

Josh

RAWesolowski
05-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Great! Keep us posted on how they're doing and any problems or accomplishments that you want to share...

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 09:20 PM
I wish i could say the same but i am just starting thinking about what kinds i am getting but i will have them soon
ALex

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 09:45 PM
I am thinking about super blue angel discus. that is what i am considering now. got any idea's where?

edgeguy
05-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Ok, here are the first questions. One of the Ocean Greens (also one of the largest discus 2.5-3") is not eating. He is swiming with the group and even comes up to the top of the tank when I feed them, but he does not eat. I have seen him pick at the driftwood though. When should I be concerned about him not eating (other than this he is acting normal)?

I feed them blood worms and they love them I also tried to feed them Omega one flake food and they could care less about it. When should I try the flake food?

I tried to feed them beefheart and all it did was sink. They did finally start picking around the rocks where it was. My question is how do you feed beefheart, because it sinks unlike blood worms that float? Should I just be content that their eating blood worms and not worry about beef heart or flake for now? If so how long before I try the other foods. Thanks for your help

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi Edgeguy:
You've had your new discus two days and the biggest one is not eating yet. Are you doing daily water changes? Do you have your temp up to 88 and have salt in the tank? I'd give it a couple of more days, but have metro on hand.

Be careful that all the beefheart is eaten or siphoned out after 15 minutes. Leftover beefheart hiding in the rocks will quickly foul your water. I'd continue offering small amounts of the flakes, etc.

edgeguy
05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
I have my tank up to 88, but I have no salt in it. All we have is iodinized salt is this ok to use?

I also have some Instant Ocean salt from my old tank thats about 3 years old. Can I use it (other than age it looks fine)?

Do I add 2 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons?

Carol_Roberts
05-12-2003, 01:42 AM
I'd add a couple of tablespoons per 10 gallons of the Instant Ocean.

GWdiscus
05-12-2003, 08:33 AM
I wish I could help more with the one thats not eating, but I will share with you some of the things that are working for me. I have 9 discus about 2 months older than yours in a 75 gal (setting up a 50 to geta few more and then spread them around after a suitable quarentine time). They produce a boat load of crap daily, I do daily wc (or very nearly so, at least 6 times a week). I'm sure you've thought this through but a bare bottom tanks will make your life so much easiler and most likely healthier for the little guys. After a year when they are much bigger you can start to add plants and a substrate.

I feed mine 3 to 4 times a day, 5 times on the weekends. They really love beefheart the best, there is so much protein in it I can't help but think it is so good for them. Also use color bits, and two types of flake food, frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, and mysis (sp?). I also dig up a few earthworms from the garden once a week. I prepare them by squeezing the crap out of them first, cut up their bodies into small pieces and then rinse untill all the junk is gone, gross but they love it. I want to get CBW but I have to bring my refrigerator from work home first, my wife will not allow live worms in our family frig.

I have a 7 year old bag of instant ocean, never opened I got at a garage sale, it works great.

good luck, keep us posted.

Fish Freak
05-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Id say turn the lights off in the aquarium and treat it with salt remember to crank up the heat. I hope you have good luck.

Josh

edgeguy
05-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the help. I have added the salt and I am turning the heater up.

How long should I wait for the Ocean Green to eat until I try something else?

Don_Lee
05-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase, welcome to the addiction of discus!
I would give your ocean green at least 2-3 days to start eating, he might even be sneaking some food when you are not looking. Sometimes you have to let the beefheart lay at the bottom awhile for the discus to get to it IME.

Don ;D

edgeguy
05-12-2003, 07:20 PM
I think he might be sneaking some, but ever since I added the salt (this am) he has been hiding under a rock outcroping and only coming out when everything is really calm. He then only comes out for a short time.

Other than not seeing him eat and being shy he looks very normal.

O
05-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey Congrats, I had the same problem. In fact one of my new arrivals did not eat for 3 weeks. Not until I raised the temp to 92F and added more salt. Don't use iodized salt though. Sea Salt or Kosher salt is better!.

Good Luck!.
O.

edgeguy
05-14-2003, 08:15 AM
The waiting is over the OG is eating. I guess there is always one that wants to cause a little worry in you. The OG is still shy but is eating the food that falls to the bottom of the tank. Thanks for all the help. ;D

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-14-2003, 12:30 PM
;DWelcome Edge, im fairly new to Simply aswell I just registered about 2 weeks ago. I've been reading the threads on here about 4 months though. Anyhow i've had my discus about 4 months. I totally reccomend a BB tank for these guys it so much easier to clean and w/c without a substrate when there juveniles. When they get older im gonna place sand or a fine "non" edgy gravel. IMO , discus have a total "pecking" order and that OC being the largest was probably used to being the #1 discus and when he was placed in the new tank he probably just needed time to check things out and make sure he could still be the top dog of the group. Discus can go 4-5 days without eating, be concerned more with their color and fin clamping, eye color , schratching , excessive hiding or if there body appears smaller than the head (that's not good) a healthy discus you won't be able to see were the head ends and the body begins it should all blend together. There's so much to know about these guys but that's what i love about them there so challenging!!! After 4 months mine are really settled in and just loving there little lives in my tank (46g) all they care about now is playing and eating.. its cool.

I do w/c's everyother day and i have a tap water aging system set-up .... makes a big difference.......... makes w/c alot less cumbersome and less stressful on the discus , they barely notice im doing it......... i use a long hose to trickle in the new water.
:book:
You'll become even more addicted to them the longer you have them and start to notice more of their personalities , they'll begin to notice you as their owner too its very cool!

Have fun with em and take care of them there awesome fish! Oh i would suggest reading as many books as you can about them i've read everything i can (like 5 books) and i need to read more!

Franko :bounce: :fish:

edgeguy
05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
I only have one tank and it has to be a show tank. Thats the only way the wife would let it in the house.

The OG is now quite aggressive in that he has determined a place in the tank that is his to feed from on the bottom and any other discus that comes into the area is chased off. No real fighting, but is interesting to watch. ::)

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Its all good , a show tank is great and you can raise discus in one no matter what the age or size. BB's are just easier to maintain.

Good luck on your dudes!
Franko