PDA

View Full Version : Starting with discus

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey everyone
I am gonna get some discus. I am just wondering if there is any certain kind that someone like me should start off with. I have had fish for years and years. Mostly cichlids and tropicals. I have bread them both. But what kinds would be the best and most hardy to start off with that arn't too expensive. Got any suggestions ???

Thanx
Alex

Mike_Selley
05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Red turquoise and cobalt blues seem to be very hardy, nice looking, and usually can be found reasonably priced. I started out with those and some red pandas and did very well with them considering how little I knew about discus. Main thing is buy healthy fish from reputable dealer to start with. Give them good food and water changes every day, and watch them grow into beautiful fish!! :)

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Good advice Mike.

Where are you from Alf? Maybe there is a breeder or hobbiest nearby that could help you get started.

iceskater
05-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi I am a newbie to Discus as well. I was terrified, still get little panick attacks from day to day. I agree the water changes are really important, another must I have learned is Bare Bottom. I resisted this at first, but love it now. It is SO MUCH EASIER TO CLEAN.

Another bit of advice I agree with is to buy from a reputable source. I purchased 2 LFS fish, they are healthy but far from perfect. I purchased 5 more from Cary and can tell the difference. Also listen to any advice you may receive to keep them in groups of 5 or more. The 5 I have in one tank are much more active then the 2 in a separate tank. I wish I would have listened to all the advise I was given.

Have fun, you will love them.

Karen

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Remember the more the merrier. If you have a groupe of two you are likley to have em die like I did. But with discus if one eats they all will. so you are better off with 5 of more. Like people have said the bd and pb are a good first choice. What size of tank do you have? But like I said before get in touch with dave clubine his site is http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/master.htm

Josh

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 04:20 PM
He has some new discus in so contact him and find out pricing it is worth it buddy.

Josh

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanx josh.

So how do i get clubine's email or can i get it from his site?

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 09:01 PM
So what kind of new discus does he have and how big are they?
???

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 10:48 PM
They are all one inch. E mail him he will tell all.

Josh

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 10:49 PM
O yah you can get it from his site

Josh

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-16-2003, 02:54 PM
:D Ash you should start with Red Turks or Blue D's , get atleast 6 if not 8-10 .

R.Turks seem the heartiest to me.

Don't start with any Wilds that's for sure!
:o