PDA

View Full Version : Need help to decide filtration needs for 150gal new tank.

ak
05-13-2003, 01:16 PM
I have a planted 72 gal discus tank (with fluval 404) and now I am planning on getting a new 150gal tank (5 X 2 X 2) and need some recommendations on filtration needs. I plan to make it bare bottom and discus only (max load would be about 15-18 fully grown discus at a time).

I need help in determining ...

How many sponge filters do I need and what size?

What should be the capacity of air pumps and how many?

Do I need any other type of filtration besides sponge filters? I have an old hang on filter (about 300gal/hr). Should I use it too?

General ...
Are hiding places absolutely necessary?

How much lighting do I need and should the lights be on only during feeding and when you want to watch them or for the whole day.

About the size of the tank (5X2X2), does the width of 2ft have any particular pros/cons?

Also, if you have any other suggestions that can be useful while setting up a new bb discus tank, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Atul

Nightowl
05-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Atul: Discus will love the tank.. wish I had one like it ! I recommend covering bottom of tank if your not using a substrate( paint it, plywood, solid blue tank background material,etc...... I use blue masking tape on smaller tanks). Re filters, I use a fluval 404, pennplax cascade 1000, & a 300gph hang on. Not saying this is the best way to go but at least a point of reference. A little current in a large tank won't hurt; check out a pennplax cascade 1500: (yes , I didn't believe they would be worth trying either) 3 yr. guarantee.... blows doors off 04 series fluvals and has been used in Asia for several yrs.(accd. to rep.) OH, fiters described above are on 125g tank w/ 11 young adult discus, some catfish & rummynose tetras. Gotta run... good luck! J(Nightowl)

Carol_Roberts
05-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi Atul:
How many sponge filters do I need and what size? I would guess 4 big ones

What should be the capacity of air pumps and how many?I don't know

Do I need any other type of filtration besides sponge filters? I have an old hang on filter (about 300gal/hr). Should I use it too? I like hang on the back filters. I use 2 Aqua Clear 500 on this size tank

General ...
Are hiding places absolutely necessary? no

How much lighting do I need and should the lights be on only during feeding and when you want to watch them or for the whole day. I would use two 48 inch flourescent light tubes. I turn my lights on when I get home from work and turn them off at bed time

About the size of the tank (5X2X2), does the width of 2ft have any particular pros/cons? It may be hard to clean unless you have long arms. I use a sponge on a handle

ak
05-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info Carol. This should be enough to get started. I am planning on making the filters myself (with material from home depot) and will post the progress.

J, where can one buy the pennplax cascade 1500? Thanks.

Don_Lee
05-14-2003, 04:16 PM
I would really give some thought to a wet/dry system. I have had many types of filters over the years, but I love my wet/dry the most both for its ease of cleaning and effectiveness at keeping the water clean. Also-there are web sites that show how to make one yourself pretty easily. I have a 180 and would not trade my wet/dry for anything!

Don ;D