PDA

View Full Version : Painting bottom of tank

daddyg70
05-16-2003, 01:45 AM
I would like some information or tips of painting the bottom of an occupied tank. Has anybody done this. The stand I have is open underneath and I figure I can get under there and paint it. Also need recommendations on type of paint.

Thanks,

Greg 8)

Carol_Roberts
05-16-2003, 02:20 AM
Most folks use latex paint. Some reccomend the fake stone/sand paint.

ReeferKimberly
05-16-2003, 03:51 AM
i have the fake stoney looking stuff on the bottom of some of my tanks. i like the khaki (sp) color. i do not know where to get it as i bought these tanks used and they already had it on. it looks very nice and i like that there is no reflection from the sides and light.
kimberly :-*

dm
05-16-2003, 08:03 AM
I know you can get that type of paint at Home Depot but it would be really hard to spray paint the bottom when the tank is full. If you are not going to drain first I would suggest brushing with Latex paint. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

GWdiscus
05-16-2003, 08:45 AM
I spray painted my tank with rustoluem and the tank full of discus. I wore a respirator and turned off the air pump for an hour. The fish nor I had any problems. But if had had to do it over again I would have used a brush, less fumes in the air.

Very Fishy
05-16-2003, 08:58 AM
I just painted the bottom of my occupied tank this past week. I went through all my existing paint cans from painting different rooms in the house and decided on a light green latex paint. When you apply the paint, it looks all streaky from underneath but looks great from above. I think it is just personal preference as to what colour you choose.

jeep
05-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Just so you know, the stone paint is not latex and has pretty toxic fumes. I would not use it on an occupied tank.

CARY_GLdiscus
05-16-2003, 12:56 PM
I just roll on to coats of latex 8)