PDA

View Full Version : New to discus need help

gretag
05-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Hello I just wanted to start keeping discus, its a turquise, i'm planning to keep them in a 40 x 20 x 20 inches tank. they will be about 2 inches size, and about 10 of them, my tap water is about 7.5 ph and GH is about 12, what is the recommended filter type for my tank. only sponge filter? i was thinking about hang on top filter with a submersible pump so it will do good mechanical filtration. please advice

how much water change shoud i do daily?

since I'm working from 8am to 8pm i might only feed them once a day is this ok?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
05-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi Gretag, welcome to SimplyDiscus :wave:

Filtrations is not as important as water changes for discus. I like a hang on the back filter like an Aqua Clear with two internal sponges and a pre-filter sponge on the water intake. An Aqua Clear 500 would work for your size tank. Add an airdriven sponge filter too if you like.

With 10 two inch discus in a 69 gallon tank you should change 25% water everday.

You may want to get older (bigger) discus since you work such long hours. Two inch discus should be fed 4 - 6 times per day. With your schedule you can feed three times per day. Feed first thing in the morning, as soon as you get home from work and again a half hour before bed.

Perhaps you would be better off with 6 or 7 discus that are 3+ inches.

gretag
05-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks Carol, i thought discus is sensitive to water movement, and i saw lots of tank with only sponge filter.
Shouldn't i remove the feces from the tank asap? or i just worried too much? and my tank will be bare tank. i think i'try to get 3 inch up :D

regards

Carol_Roberts
05-19-2003, 05:33 PM
I clean the bottom of my tanks everyday when I do water changes. I run an Aqua Clear 500 on 55 gallon tanks and the current does not bother the discus at all.

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
:DWelcome Greg!

Hey congrats on decided to keep Discus they are a great tropical fish to keep and challenging too.

IMO if you wanna keep 10 in a 55g do lots of water changes!!! Setup a tap water aging system (basically storage container of water which enable you to circulate and heat to match your tank water) its easier when you do alot of water changes......I have a 46g with 6 discus and I change 30% everyother day.

I use a Python syphon vacuum to drain during w/c and to vaccum the poo and other debri it works killer.

IMO key is w/c low current flow from which ever filtration you choose to use. sponge filters are good to catch large pieces of debri from entering your filters and decaying in there.

W/C's are key but you don't wanna obsess and have your hands in the tank all the time moving stuff around cause discus hate it when there's alot of commotion in the tank or if you move things around on them.

make sure the water you add is de-chlorinated and ph matches current water in tank and temp ect......

Dude you have to feed Juveniles more often then once a day . .... i feed mine atleast 4-5 times a day......when the become adults im sure i'll still feed them 2-3 times a day it'll be just a different food ,,, instead of big growth ones like BH or CBW.......

:book: Alot of reading never hurts..... books . websites ..... more books ..

I love my discus !
Good luck with yours have fun!
Franko

Fishpoop
05-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Congratulations on your discus. But don't get too paranoid, discus are not some weakly fish, as many believe. They will survive as long as you provide a fairly constant habitat for them (constant ph, water temp, ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels). My discus live in a dangerous environment by some standards and still do very well. Mind you I don't plan to provide breeding conditions. Also I feed all the fish in the tank only twice a day.

http://angelfire.com/empire/hythloth

gretag
05-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Frank and fish poop, thanks for your help, :)