PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Project

3discus
05-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Hello, first id like to say this is a nice site. Im not exactly new to the world of discus keeping I have had a few pretty nice discus over the course of 3 years, and have successfully spawned one of my pairs but they have always eaten the fry I suppose its partially my fault for putting them in the living room and it distrupts their parental care.

Anyway, the new project will be a 55G tank filtered with a Filstar XP3 canister filter, will run a good amount of peat fiber in here to keep the water softer and to stabalize it. I would prefer that my discus adapt to my water conditions rather than rely on chemicals and have flunctuations. My water comes out of the tap at a pH of 7.4 with a GH of around 8, so its not to bad. Well I have never done a discus display tank...my others are rather bare for the most part. I plan to get a lighting system with 3*40watt bulbs(about 8,500K)...and about 80lbs of gravel a good amount of driftwood and for plants I dont want to cram so many plants in there as to make cleaning difficult just basically some accents of green. Mostly Vals, and maybe some larger swordplants and some dwarf sag. I wish to acquire 5 young Alencer discus or 5 Green red spotted discus, 2 L260 plecos, and a small group of cardinal tetras. As with my other discus, I will feed them a staple diet of frozen Mysis shrimp, with frozen bloodworm, Color bits, Zooplankton, and Formula 1 flake with the occasional treat of fresh ground shellfish and peas.

Basically I guess I just want some professional opinions before getting into this project, also if anyone can suggest a place relatively close to Virginia where I could order some nice quality Alencer or other "wild looking" discus that would be great ;D

dm
05-20-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm not really sure about getting Discus near VA but I would like to welcome you to Simply Discus. You should have no problems finding what you are looking for here. You might want to ask in the breeders section for someone to buy from.

ChloroPhil
05-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Welcome 3discus,

If you're using peat to lower your pH and hardness you're going to want to avoid any sort of carbon/carbon dioxide supplimentation like the plague. If you provide enough root fertilization for your swords and vals they should be able to live just fine in that environment. They might not exactly thrive but they should stay alive and grow, not to mention make an environment that your discus will love.

Please post a pic of your tank when you get your plants in!