PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Pleco

edgeguy
05-21-2003, 01:09 AM
My new discus love the pleco :heart2:. The pleco swims around on the bottom and the discus follow right along by his head picking up food that he kicks up after I have fed them. The pleco is not bothered by this and it is quite interesting to watch.

Smokey
05-21-2003, 01:43 AM
what species of pleco is it?

Smokey

edgeguy
05-21-2003, 02:13 AM
I have tried to figure that out. I went to the catfish web site and what I could determine is it is a chocolate Pleco (what most resembled my pleco).

Smokey
05-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Edgeguy - could you post the link. Sounds interesting!

Thanks
Smokey

edgeguy
05-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Here is the sight.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

:computer: I hope it works!

edgeguy
05-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Since you are going to the site I also have a:

Synodontis dhonti and a Synodontis eupterus

both are also doing great with the discus.

nazangels
05-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi Edgeguy! How big is your S. eupterus? I kept one until it was about 6 inches long and an inch thick and it ended up getting VERY territorial and started attacking my discus. I really loved that big old catfish, but I had to take him out of the tank. When I fed live foods he would hog all the worms and the discus just hovered in a corner. They never got to eat. Just a word of warning as they get older. Beth

edgeguy
05-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the warning. So far he is the mellowest of the three. He does not come out much from his driftwood, but I will keep an eye on him. Oh, he is about the size you described yours was. So far so good.

Smokey
05-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Ok, I went to the site ... wow lots of cats!!!
I'm a bit toooo lazy to do a search, so can you give my a hand in finding your ''chocolate pleco''. ?

Please....

Smokey

edgeguy
05-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Okay here I go again with this web thing :computer2:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/loricari/glyptope/80_f.htm

My guy looks like the upper right thumbnail. It was the closest photo to my pleco, but plecos all look the same.

Smokey
05-25-2003, 03:39 AM
Great Thanks. the link worked. Nice looking cat !

The point is/was ... cats are nocterinal feeders. In a closed aquarium, perhaps he might see the side of a discus as nutrional.

Keep your eyes open.

Smokey

jim_shedden
05-25-2003, 03:02 PM
He looks very similar to the one I had. I also had to remove him because he became too agressive. I understand that the bristlenose cat is an excellent choice for discus. They stay relatively small ...........3" (my understanding) and are terrific on algea.
Thanks for the link.

Jim

05-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Can't keep discus without bristlenoses. They do all the cleaning for me. With that many tanks i have, I can't imagine spending a whole eviening wiping glasses and water change. With a constant drip and bristlenoses. All I have to do is spend 2 min. a day each tank siphoning the debris and feeding. Water and glasses are always sparkling clean.
Jimmy.

Bruce
05-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Anybody know where I can get a bristlenose in So.California? I hope its not so rare that I actually have to pay $75 for Sat Fedex! Premium discus are worth the trouble, but a tank-cleaning catfish?

Thanks if you can help.

mench
05-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Bruce,go to www.boxlotfish.com talk to loren,he have bristlenose plecos..shipping should be about $40...the cost of the fish is really inexpensive..

Mench

Bruce
05-31-2003, 03:33 AM
Bruce,go to www.boxlotfish.com talk to loren,he have bristlenose plecos..shipping should be about $40...the cost of the fish is really inexpensive..

Mench

Thanks, but that's what I was afraid of . . . paying $40 shipping for a $3.80 fish. I don't think that will work for me. And I certainly don't want to keep a whole school of them in my single tank as I have with Discus. I only want 2 or 3 of these and I'm not interested in any other fish right now.

I think I need to keep my search local for it to make financial sense.

Thanks, but need to continue to request for locating info on Bristlenose in the Los Angeles area.

95jeepxj
06-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Try asking the LFS to order one. Most stores should be able to get them, they are not all that rare.

jake

Wahter
06-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Also some Bristlenoses breed easily, so perhaps one of the hobbyists can some babies to share or trade at a local club meeting/ auction.

I also had a synodontis, but it was the angelicus. Really pretty and when it was small, no problems. As it got larger, it became more aggressive and territorial. I recently sold him back to the LFS where I bought him years ago.