PDA

View Full Version : Can I do discus in a 20g Hex???

cranfordrd
05-21-2003, 05:11 PM
I have been keeping community tanks for many years however I have always been a discus lover! I just got a 20g hex and although I know this is really not large enough I was hoping..... maybe..... I could keep 2 discus in it? I would be willing to keep one but thought that would be too difficult on the discus. I am doing my research but wAnted to ask this before I went crazy planning, researching etc. The tank has to cycle so I have quite few weeks within which I can decide what to get. The tank will have a Fluval 204 running for filtration and I am very good about water changes, I change at least 25%/ week in the other tanks and this one is next to the kitchen (in the dining room, rather quiet place) but close to sink so more frequent changes are easy.

lkleung007
05-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Hi Cranfordrd,

I personally would not recommend keeping Discus in a tank that size. Remember an adult Discus can grow to 7-8 inches from head to start of the tail and really need more room than a 20 gallon can provide. IMO, a Discus larger than 3-3.5 inches should be kept in a tank no smaller than a 55 gallon (which is 4 ft long).

HTH, Lester

Carol_Roberts
05-21-2003, 06:40 PM
No.

You really need a 55 gallon for happy discus. Read through this site to learn how to keep discus successfully.

A good start would be 6 juveniles discus from a reputable source placed in a 55 gallon bare tank with a cycled filter and heater.

RandalB
05-21-2003, 06:48 PM
I have sucessfully kept 4 discus in a 35 Gallon Planted hex. But I think a 20 Hex is too small.

JMO,
RandalB

cranfordrd
05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I guess Discus will not be finding their way into my home, I have no room for another tank and just got the 20 hex, on my way to look for a different fish.

Very Fishy
05-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I currently have 4 discus in a 35 G hex barebottom. I would not recommend going any smaller than that. In fact I will eventually want to upgrade to a larger tank as I am itching to get more discus but my tank cannot handle any more at this time. :-\