PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Disucs. :(

chewy7
05-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi Again,
I just did a water change, and i noticed the first set of fish i bought (8 of them) have gone full dark and have ripped fins. The second set of fish i bought (4 of them) they are perfectley fine and showing no problems. The First set of fish are looking towards the bottumn of the tank and have gone a real real dark colour. 2 Are having trouble staying upright. The Tank temperature is 28 and when i do a water change it drops to 25. They where fine after i did the water change....and i look today theres problems, any possibiltys to whats exactley wrong with them?

Thanks
Shane

chewy7
05-22-2003, 02:49 AM
Here is a pic, see the discus in the middle, the smallest one on a slight slant. they are like that, on a slant, it was resting on the side of the glass before

angel12
05-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Just a guess here but first of all you say drops from 28 to 25 Degres that means you are adding cold water into the tank .. yes this is a shock in its own like you being nice and warm next to the fire and then stuck outside in the cold .... you could do to bring the temp up to the same temp as in the tank before you add it .. also check for nasties such as ammonia and nitrate test you ph also ....

did you quarantine the second set of Discus before you put them in the tank with the others ?

if you could post with your answers re the Test results and the quarantine then Im sure other more experienced members will be able to help ...

:)

April
05-22-2003, 10:48 AM
i agree. that they wouldnt like. you need to add about the same temp and same ph.
are you adding water conditioner? perhaps chlorine or something is also bothering them.
how much wc are you doing and how often?

Carol_Roberts
05-22-2003, 03:00 PM
They don't look happy . . . . Perhaps there is a big pH drop with the new water. Split fins are usually from darting about or fighting.

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-23-2003, 02:22 PM
:( They look pretty stressed.... there "bars" are showing pretty good........... a change in water temp is enough to make them very upset and if the ph changes drastically or even a few points that could be deadly... try and make sure when you do a w/c that the new water is exactly or as close to exactly the parameteres as the water already in the tank.

If they start "headstanding" you should hospital tank them with some salt and only enough water to cover the top of the discus.

chewy7
05-23-2003, 08:42 PM
hi,
thanks all for the replys. the fish are better now. i think i have to invest in a large pond pump so i can put the water in a large container, treat it, and heat it up to correct level and slowly put it back into the discus tank. They are all eating well, and moving about the tank. the 4 new discus i introduced dont seem to like the other guys much. i'll keep watching, hopefully they will stop as i dont have another tank for them to be in.

Thanks
Shane